Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

corned beef brisket?

Aledo Green Dreggon
Aledo Green Dreggon Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My small country grocer has packaged corned beef brisket. Is corned beef already seasoned beyond the point of a "normal" brisket?

Anyone cook corned beef on their egg? Smoked or just grilled?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    it needs to be soaked in water for a day or two depending on who made it, it makes a pastrami if you smoke it, or it makes corned beef and cabbage if you boil it.
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    I did this recipe 2 weeks ago for the pastrami. If you go that route soak for 48 hours so it's not to salty. I second this one.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • AWESOME! ChefBrian posted his pastrami the other day and it looked so good. I had no idea I had one sitting in my fridge! I have plans this weekend now.
  • fishlessman
    take notes from the label brand and soak times and how many water changes you did, not all corned beef is the same. newengland has grey corned beef which is far less salty than other brands and the red stuff needs a long soak. a food slicer is a good thing to have with a corned beef as well, makes great sandwiches, do a search on ruebens and it also makes a great potato hash for breakfast with eggs.
    fukahwee maine

• What is a good slicer to have? I had a waring pro that I thought would be good, but I had the plastic worm drive gear strip on me twice.
  • fishlessman
    the one i have is nolonger made so im not up to whats good right know for slicers, maybe set up a new post
    fukahwee maine

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Yes, 48 hrs, a change of water every 12 at least. Then, just a simple rub of cracked coriander and coarse black pepper, and you have a really good start. Can get fancier with the rub, but the coriander and pepper are essential.

Because these are briskets, even a long slow cook may still leave you with something fairly tough. So after I make my thin slices, I steam them for a few minutes for a last bit of tenderness.
  • I don't have a platesetter yet so how might I do an indirect cook? I do have a pressure cooker, so the pressure method looks like a good bet for me.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Here's a couple I smoked a month or so ago. Isliced it the old fashioned way.

You will love it.
    Pastrami.jpg
  • You can use anything that will block the direct, radiant heat from the coals.
    Pizza stone
    Fire bricks
    Clay flower pot base
    Heavy skillet
  • Oh yes, this is one great cook. Those who have not tried it are just missing out.

I use thirdeye's wet method, completely done in the egg. I have yet to try the pressure cooker finish, but will at some point in time.

As for pre-corned brisket, I have cooked it with no soak, which is pretty salty but great taste. Depending what you are doing this can be very good.

12 hour water rinse, still salty but good for specific cooks.

24 hour water rinse, very good even for snacking.

48 hour water rince, I can't really tell much difference from the 24 hour rinse.

Last week I found a 'mild' corned brisket. I rinsed it for 24 hours and it was excellent also.

I like either the 'mild' we have available or regular pre-corned with a 24 hr rinse.

A very fun cook is Pastrami Burgers a real favorite for a long time here.

GG
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Is a pastrami burger different than a pastrami sandwich with melted cheese? I don't want to miss out on another use.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Get a burger bun, cook a good burger and put on as much or more pastrami as the burger. Garnish as desired.

gg
  • fishlessman
    the older delis around here always steamed verse fried the pastrami. easiest way which doesnt seem to effect anything taste wise is to pack a cup with pastrami, fill about a half inch with water and nuke it. if you didnt soak it long enough and its still too salty, you can heat up a low sodium broth and just quickly dunk the pastrami in while makeing a sandwich which sucks some of the saltiness out and heats it up.
    fukahwee maine