Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

We're blessed - a pre-Thanksgiving post

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
WE'RE BLESSED
If Earth's population was shrunk into a village of just 100 people - what would this tiny, diverse village look like? Well Phillip M. Harter, a MD at Stanford University School of Medicine, attempted to figure out. This is what he found:

57 would be Asian * 21 would be European * 14 would be from the Western Hemisphere * 8 would be African

52 would be female * 48 would be male

6 people would possess 59 percent of the entire world's wealth, and all 6 would be from the United States

80 would live in substandard housing

70 would be unable to read

50 would suffer from malnutrition

1 would be near death *

1 would be pregnant

1 would have a college education *

1 would own a computer

Based on these facts, the following is an anonymous interpretation:

Think of it this way. If you live in a good home, have plenty to eat and can read, you are a member of a very select group.

And if you have a good house, food, can read and have a computer, you are among the very elite.

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness... you are more fortunate than the 1,000,000 people who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation... you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a religious meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death...you are fortunate, more than 3 billion people in the world can't.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep...you are richer than 75% of the world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace...you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    OK...

by the lack of response it appears I either posted a stale item, or one that no one wants to challenge. I never thought it was even political. Good night.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    RRP,

I'm afraid that you may be talking to a group of folks who take so much for granted that the point is misunderstood. God forgive us. :blush:

I hope we don't have to be put in our places before we realize how good we have it.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I just printed it, thanks.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    Very cool post. I'm going to pass this on to some of my friends.
  • ValFitzAndrew
    Options
    I will come out of LURKING status to thank you for this post. I too will pass it along if you have no objections.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i have a 96 year old acquaintance that forwards every single email he gets to every single person on his email address list. no exaggeration, i got 19 yesterday. in the space of five minutes. there is very little in the "thinking of you, so i sent this along..." department that i haven't seen lately. hahahaha

i have an inbox filled with LOL kittens, john mcCain tributes, surfboarder-loving-sharks, more kittens, and sidewalk art :)

sorry if i'm jaded and did not respond.

i say this with a big wink and a slap on the back, but for someone so blessed, you have been seeming very grumpy lately. whassup? :huh:

it was an interesting post... sorry it got buried under the others. but don't take that stuff personally.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    Options
    Thank you for this post RRP!

Very interesting stats. It really puts a fine point on the human condition and where each reader stands in relation to the worlds population.

I have had the opportunity to travel the far east and I can say first-hand that those statistics do not suprise me...unfortunate but true.

I read this and considered what my neighborhood would look like if I were one of these 100 people...yea...blessed is a good description.

I know several people that will appreciate this and I will pass it on.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I have just read it (you gotta be patient!) and probably would not have responded until I read your second post, but I will say that tho I would not have responded, it definitely gave me pause for thought and a reminder of how good we have it.
  • stike
    Options
    boo hoo...

no one replied to my post either. see?

genius does go unappreciated sometimes.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I knew better Jeff...I did not want to type back and forth for 3 days and nights with you.LOL

Larry

PS.....Wish you could make it to Eggtoberfest.
  • You should have included a photo of your dryer lint trap. :woohoo: :whistle:
  • stike
    Options
    i tried to sign up but they told me to stay home
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I think we can get you in...Hey you yankees let me on Marthas Vineyard so I think Atlanta will welcome you.
    Larry
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    thanks for putting it in perspective!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• stike
    Options
    i mean, i tried to register on day one and bobby-Q said no way.

(just kidding...)
  • eatbbq
    Options
    I think any lack of posts may be due to people reflecting on how fortunate they are...great post.