Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you make pulled pork from pork loin ?

Options
Dean
Dean Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a 4 pound boneless 1/2 pork loin (paid $16 bucks). I did not realize that loin ain't butt (no need to bust my chops). I believe butt comes from the shoulder (figure that out) and loin from the back. [p]Well what do I do with it? Can it be "Egged" and become great pulled pork ? I've got my heart set on my first try at pulled pork. [p]Dean

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hi Dean,
    Sorry, but the loin is a lean cut, and best suited for either roasting or cutting into chops and grilling. Once you get the internal temp over 150, it will really start drying and toughening up on you.[p]Still, though, you have a fine cut of meat there and perfect when cooked to 145-150. Mr. Toad's Loin is a great recipe to do if you feel like stuffing it and wrapping in bacon. Lots of good loin recipes in the recipe section.[p]Hope that helps. Cold ones to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dean
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the quick response. I'll check Mr Toad's recipe out. [p]Dean
  • Dean,[p]Stuffed loin is very good on the egg. If you like blue cheese try this.[p]1/4 cup pecans
    1/4 cup of carrots
    1/4 cup blue cheese
    some worchestershire (sp)
    lots of onion powder[p]Brown the pecans and carrots in butter for about 30 min. Then mix in the blue cheese, worchester, and onion poweder. Cut a slit in the loin almost to the end. Force stuffing in and close with a toothpick. Cover loin liberally with your favorite rub. Cook at 250 to 275 untill it reachs 155 to 160. About 2 hours.[p]If you don't like that, stuff with dried fruit and marinate in rasbery vingeret dressing. Then cover with rub and finish on the egg with rasberry/chipolte bbq sauce. [p]Mark

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Dean,
    Check out the link for a step by step photo instruction of the process. Inspired by Mr. Toad and appreciated by all who joined us at the table.[p]

[ul][li]blackberry pork loin[/ul]
  • Dean,[p]I've done a pork loin with this recipe and it's very good

[ul][li]Roasted Garlic and Chili Crusted Pork loin[/ul]
  • Dean
    Options
    ravnhaus,[p]Thanks,[p]That looks excellent - I'm definately going to try it.[p]Dean