Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Platesetter up or down?

MickeyMickey Posts: 16,410
edited 5:48AM in EggHead Forum
Platesetter up or down?
What way is it used most?
Having the solid surface next to the fire or at the top near the cooking item?
Is a rule of thumb for this?
Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·

Comments

• both up or down- depends what you are cooking.
    for pizza , bread - legs down and pizza stone on top
    if you need to use a drip pan than legs up with the grid on top (place the drip pan between the legs)- for pulled pork, ribs, brisket.... chicken
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,410
    do you get a heat dif if up or down say at the cooking area?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I only use my plate setter with the legs up. If I'm doing pizza, breads, etc I put the pizza stone on the grid above it. -RP
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,032
    Is that setup OK with your cardiologist?? :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    ·
  • KnaufKnauf Posts: 337
    I'm with AZRP on the legs down method all the time. Keeps the direct heat away from the gasket and I like the pizza stone on a raised grid to get better convection in the dome when I cook pizza.
    ·
  • KnaufKnauf Posts: 337
    I meant legs UP al the time...sorry for the confusion!
    ·
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,327
    I don't think so, as long as the food is at the same level, it's just like everyone else said, up or down is a matter of what application you are doing (long smoke with drip pan vs. baking...)
    ·