Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did you buy BGE without tasting food off it first!

AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was wondering if I am the only one who bought their BGE without ever tasting anything off of it and I ended up buying 2 larges right off the bat.

Has been love at first bite, and no looking back or regrets.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i had never had anything off one when i bought my first one ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Never had food off one or knew anyone who had one. But I did my research and this site convinced me. Got a LBGE and am trying to convince the wife we need a small too.
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    What sold me was the twinkle behind the sales guys eyes when he talked about food off his egg.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I fist saw an advertisement in one of my cooking magazines and after about 8 months of reading and following the forum, I bought a LBGE.

I did not know anyone else that had one at the time.

I have now influenced 8 other ceramic purchases -- 7 BGE and 1 Primo.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Found this board and after a few months of reading posts and looking at pictures, I knew it was for me! Bought my LBGE almost a year ago and never looked back!! Just got a 'mini" at a good price so now I've got a 'pair', well almost.. 8 - )~~~
  • I did! My boss told me about Eggtoberfest 2006 when we were talking about what we were doing over the weekend. Unfortunately I was studying for a Calc 2 test and had to put it on the top of my priority list. So I waited an entire year, read and read, ranted and raved about how good this "food" was that I had never tasted. My faith in the egg paid off. I technically paid for an egg before tasting anything. Thanks to many of the fine people on this forum I had some great eats on the egg the day I picked mine up and had no idea how well I would get to know the faces of Eggtoberfest 2007.
    I am sure I am not the only one out there who stepped out on a limb on a big investment and so glad I did.
  • I bought mine without ever tasting food off of a BGE. A guy I know told me he loved his, so I started researching the 'egg' and ran into this forum. I have been following this forum for some time and finally bought a large. I haven't cooked on it yet, still putting the finish on the table.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    a dealer told me i didnt want it, that he had better smokers, and refused to talk anymore about it. i guess thats what sold it, i bought it from a different place. it looked like a superior kettle grill compared to my weber.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    I did my research like everyone else and jumped right in without a taste....a very wise decision indeed B)
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    I saw the BGE 7 years ago, but no real endorsement by the salesman. I started researching when it was time to replace the gasser. I read this forum for about two weeks and you convinced me (without any samples) I would enjoy the BGE.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    File me in the blind faith group!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I was out looking at SS Gasser's when I saw one at the BBQ store, didn't have a clue what is was. While searching on the Internet I came across it and then this forum. After reading the forum for some time I knew I want to try one.

Bought a LBGE and knew enough about learning to control temps from all of my reading here. I practiced without cooking anything to get the hang of it. I had never even seen one fired up much less eaten anything off of one.

I now have a Lg,Med,Sm & Mini. I'm also only one person. No regrets here. This is the best group of people on any forum I have been on.

Best Regards,
    Bordello
  • Yes, Had never tasted nor actually seen on other than online.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Blind faith for me too! Although it took me years to actually getting around to pulling the trigger. I was BBQ Galore locations dozens of times....they were never really knowlegdable, and usually pointed me in another direction.

Once we moved to Omaha, I began lurking on the board, got hooked up with a good dealer, and bought both a large and a medium...I wish I'd done it years ago!

fc
  • With a reputation like this, I figured it was safe to take the leap. So far so good.
  • I had never tasted food either. Heard about them years ago, can't remember where but then needed to switch out my gasser since my complex did not allow propane. Started doing all my research and my dealer was very exstatic about her egg I had to jump in.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    No tasting before paying for me either.........

I grew up about 10 miles from the Original BGE store on Buford Highway. We always drove by the little strip mall that housed the store. I wondered what they were all about. One evening in the early 90's I was at a party at a friends home. He had just rented the old house and there was an egg on the back patio. We struck up a conversation including my brief knowledge off the BGE. He informed me the owner told him if he didnt want to use the egg to get rid of it. He offered it to me, and I turned it down becuase it was so heavy. I have regretted that decision ever since. I finally made good this past March and got me an egg.
  • I never ate off the BGE, but a friend told me how great the food was and there was no turning back.
  • Yes. I went shopping for the Chiminea which I had seen in a magazine or something and ended up taking my first Large BGE home instead. The rest is history. I still don't have a chiminea. :laugh:
  • Frequent BGE references on other forums finally got me to reading this one. The enthusiasm and helpfulness here convinced me that I'd be happy with an Egg. We signed up for the Walforf Eggfest and ordered a demo Small. So we did taste a lot of food cooked on BGE's before we brought ours home, but we committed to buying it before that happened.
  • I am also someone who bought an LBGE without a single taste. A few years back, a relative of ours told us about reading an article in the Globe and Mail arguing that the BGE was the best BBQ. The seed was planted and my interest blossomed when I finally saw one at a local store this spring. I did a couple of weeks of research and took the plunge.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I had heard of the BGE but I had never had Egg'd food before I bought one. A lady at work said she was going to have pizza from her egg one night and sear steaks the next night...after that I knew I had to have one.... :silly:
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Had not had a taste. Didn't know about this Forum, either, which would have made the decision much easier. So that made the first few cooks all the more surprising!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I am with you. Never tasted and I love my small.
    Will not go back.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Yep. I went into a dealer looking to buy a giant gasser. I saw a large BGE in the corner and the salesperson just dismissed it as a curiosity. That got my interest. After a few days of poking around on the web, particularly this site, I ordered one. My first egged food was a spatchcocked chicken.
    Paul
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    me too. i had a guy from another forum that would send me pics of his food (off the egg) and taunt me with "what did YOU eat this weekend?!"

i'd been looking for a smoker to do ribs, and he spun a web of foodiness around the egg.

i found a local dealer near me, and he ALSO gave the egg the stink eye. you might be interested, paul, to know that he referred to it as a "yuppy, andover thing".

funny thing was i also had to force them to let me buy it.

that dealer was utterly crap-tastic (and i believe it was fishless's dealer too, in windham NH, now defunct w/r/t selling eggs)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Yup!!!! Buddy of mine from high school moved to Atlanta several years ago. We would get together now & then and he would talk about his Big Green Egg. Finally went to this web site and got hooked. When I first started visiting, I thought these folks are nuts :laugh: After awhile I got hooked :silly: Purchased egg last year and the rest is history. :woohoo:
    ~HOPE~ is wishing something would happen. ~FAITH~ is believing something will happen. ~COURAGE~ is making something happen......
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Mine was 40th b-day gift. Never tasted, 1st couple of cooks were "less than wonderful". I practiced and found this group and the rest is history.

Walt
  • Wife bought it for me in 1997, never even saw a flame before I got.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Never tasted any slow cooker. My wife & I went to buy a Traeger pellet smoker. Once in the store, She browsed the BGE area, I stayed by the Traegers. She spoke to the owner, about the BGE, and in about 20 min, they had me convinced that that the BGE was much more versatile. Bought a large on the spot. Been smiling ever since.