Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on the Platesetter?

Options
Big Papa
Big Papa Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried cooking pizza on the Platesetter and not using a pizza stone at all?

I don't see why that wouldn't work.
It would make the crust nice and crispy

Chef C

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    It might just make it a bit burned and crispy. The biggest problem I have with pizza is keeping the stone cool enough that the pizza cooks without the bottom burning. I can usually get through three or four but after the stone has been in long enough, it wants to cook the bottom QUICKLY.
  • Big Papa
    Options
    thanks for info
  • Well the problem is you want an air gap between your place setter and pizza stone so the pizza stone runs cooler than the place setter which is taking the high heat of a pizza fire. One possible solution is to get some cheap unglazed red tiles from big warehouse. Put the grate on the fire ring, put the tiles on the grate as a baffle leaving gaps for the heat to get through and then use the place setter feet down.

HTH,

Konrad
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I have tried it many times, burned the @#%$* out of every one of them, finally broke down & bought the stone, haven't burned one since
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    The air gap theory works for some people, but I have been resting my stone directly on my plate setter for 8 years now and have yet to burn a pizza.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • If it works for you go for it. I've just heard from a lot of folks that they burn their pizza when cooked directly on the place setter. How hot are you running?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    reread my post I said my stone goes directly on the plate setter. I just don't believe in the air gap theory some people espouse and I'd never use just the plate setter. I egg my pizzas from 425 to 450. Here's one wifey did Saturday night.
    IMG_2528.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mariner Mike
    Options
    I use my pizza stone directly on the plate setter. I cook at about 550 and have never burned a crust. The pizzas come out great.

I have also been using a Pampered Chef stone which I hear break from the heat, but I haven't had a problem. I just bought a new stone at eggfest so I don't have to worry about that anymore.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Damn she did a great job Ron, that's making me want pizza. :)

How's the rehab coming along on the shoulder??? Hope you're doing well.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Craig
    Craig Posts: 72
    Options
    I cook my pizza on a stone that's been raised above the grid with fire bricks in 3 places. It's always worked great for me. I usually do 6 pizzas at around 500 to 550 degrees.

The only reason I don't use my plate setter is because it's loaded with old, burned, dried grease. I thought it might give an off taste to the dough.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I think you'd have better luck if you use parchment rather than placing the dough directly on the platesetter.

My platesetter is too dirty to do that. I put my pizza stone on the platesetter.
  • pop-a- top
    Options
    I use three green feet to space pizza stone and cook at 650. Did six last night and all came out great.
  • eatbbq
    Options
    Pizza stone on place setter gives twice the thermal mass, gets the pizzz higher into the dome to do the top. I use place setter, sometimes 2 pizza stones, or a pizza stone, 3 green feet and another pizza stone on top of that. Once that thermal mass is hot it will do the bottom of the pizza no problem, and will not burn.
    The top comes out with cheese melted to perfection and the crust golden brown. I would never try it on place setter alone.
  • RRP,

Good looking pizza. I like the uber thin crust pizza cooked at 500 to 600f. At those temps I prefer an air gap and a nice amount of corn meal on my aluminum peel, but that's just me.

Konrad
  • Cookn&Climbn
    Options
    try it and see what works best for you. today i did a frozen pizza with the plate setter legs down, no stone, no problem. however, i did not have any cornmeal so i went out there halfway through the cook and made sure the dough was not sticking.