Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomato sauce on the EGG

Options
Mort
Mort Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried making tomato sauce on the EGG?? Saw this recipe on FOOD TV... thought a little smoke would enhance the taste... [p]What do you all think? Worth the effort??[p]Thanks for the imput..
Mort
Tomato Sauce
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown[p]20 Roma tomatoes, halved and seeded
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup finely diced onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon roughly chopped oregano leaves
1 tablespoon roughly chopped thyme leaves
1 cup white wine
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. [p]In 2 (13 by 9-inch) pans place tomato halves cut side up. Sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper, onion, garlic, and herbs. Bake tomatoes for 2 hours, then turn the oven to 400 degrees and bake another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and process tomatoes through a food mill on medium dye setting over a small saucepan. Discard skins. Add white wine and cook on low heat covered for 30 minutes.

Comments

• David B.
    Options
    Mort,[p]The egg is great for roasting veggies, and anything else you do with them after will get a little fire roasted taste. I wouldn't use anything for smoke, maaaybe just a little bit of grape vines if you have them.[p]I have a garden with my brother and we do all our prep for salsas, bisques, etc on the egg.[p]David B.

• Buckeye Bill
    Options
    Mort,[p]My smoked salsa is a great hit! I have often remarked that merely smoking tomatoes would make great tomato sauce, but my love of salsa has consumed everything I grew.[p]I highly recommend trying. I smoke my tomatoes and peppers for salsa at about 225 for 1.5 - 2.5 hours. I use a plate setter to protect the veggies (and fruit for the purists).[p]Buckeye Bill
  • Mort
    Mort Posts: 10
    Options
    Buckeye Bill,
    Thanks for the tips.. I'm going to try your salsa this weekend. My husband will LOVE it!!
    Mort