Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Featherbones - Any Idea?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone done featherbones? I am looking for times. I like to do my baby backs with a variation of the 3/1/1.5 methond. I want to know if this will be to long for featherbones. Thanks.[p]Mark

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Omaha Mark,[p]Is fetherbones a local term? What is that?[p]Tim
  • Tim M,[p]Not knowing exactly how to desribe, they are pork ribs with very small rectangular bones in them. [p]Mark
  • Omaha Mark, To answer your and Tim's question, feather bones are cut from the spine of the hog. Sometimes they are refered to as riblets. The meat is fairly lean and is of the same texture as the back ribs, but there is higher of bone to meat ratio on these cuts when compared to a true rib whether they be spares or backs.[p]I can buy them here in KC for $1.29 lb for a 10 pound case. The ones I get are trimmed fairly close to the bone, about 4" wide and 8" long. When I have cooked them, I just put a very light coating of rub a few hours before cooking. Go easy on the rub because there isn't much meat on these bones. I cook them just like any other rib, and the cooking time on these is usually about two hours. [p]To me, the riblets are done when you can easily tear one of these "slabs" down the middle. I don't use a finish sauce until they are off the grill. Once again, I go easy with the spicing and put a light coating of sauce. [p]These riblets do make some good eating and they are a cheap way to feed a big crowd. I catered a 4th of July party for some of my biker buddies and served these. One of the guys said they were better than Applebee's. I said thanks and told him he didn't sweat much for a fat boy. :-)[p]Beers to you,[p]Juggy D Beerman

• JDB,[p]Thanks. I decided to buy some because they were $.99 per/lb. My father-in-law cooks only feather bones. But he does rather quickly and they are not that tender. I may try to cook just like I do baby backs.[p]Mark

• Omaha Mark, That should work. Just remember these riblets take about half the spice and half the cooking time as back ribs. As Big Hal used to say, "If its tough, just cook it a little longer."[p]Beers,[p]Juggy

• JDB,[p]What, do you suppose, ever happened to Big Hal?[p]Pete