Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Medium-Sized a Good Compromise?

Options
jimbotron
jimbotron Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I only cook for myself, so was going to buy a small. But other forumites (in another thread) tried to talk me up to a large ("better for low and slows, better with startup, higher heats, burning thru the night without the fire going out, fits a rack of ribs, has more distance between the fire and grill for certain direct cooks, just better thought out.").

My question is: would a medium be a decent compromise?

Comments

• GirlyEgg
    Options
    I have medium with just me... I frequently cook for friends/parties... medium can fit 2 butts for pulled pork (alotta pork!), 6 pork tenderloins, 8-10 racks of ribs, a 10-12 lb turkey, etc. I can do long cooks, short cooks.... my medium is just the right size for me!
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Medium was my first egg (actually 2nd ... had a small for a week before upgrading). It was great and did not upgrade (add more eggs) until I got married and had a child.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    There is not much my large can do that my medium cannot.

Volume and duration are about the only differences in abilities. The medium can easily go long enough on one load to do a batch of picnics, butts, or a brisket.
  • I now own S,M,L & XL B)

The medium works but the large is better supported in terms of eggcessories and if you plan on using an eggnest the large eggnest is better than the medium. They left four braces out of the medium nest and unless it's super tight it can fail to do it's job when being moved IME. You'll also find you have lots of new friends once they taste your cooking. The large is not that much bigger than a medium.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    "Just the wife and me." My medium is a great size. The only reason I wish I had a large is because I could cook for a larger crowd of folks from time to time. Don't really do that much, but just in case. A full rack of ribs fits fine within the 18" diameter of the grid--just can't fit more than about 3 slabs on there (using my homemade raised grid). I'm not sure how GirlyEgg does 8 to 10 at a time. I guess using the V rack would do it.
  • To fit the most ribs on anything roll em and stack em. The trick is roll them so the meaty side goes in and the bones face out. You can use string or toothpicks and those don't need cleaned unlike a rib rack :)
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I've seen that before. Good idea. Maybe, since I like to foil with liquid, I can figure out a way to roll them for the first 3 hours and then spread them back out to sauce. Oh boy. Another new project!
  • jimbotron
    Options
    Konrad, that's a real good rib tip, thanks.

Question: if the large is not that much bigger than a medium, is it not much more expensive, either?

I gotta decide soon, as I'm hoping to pick up one at eggfest in PA next weekend....!
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    There is just two of us and we have a large and a small and we are working on getting a mini. That is by far the best compromise. :) I say start with the small and if you really enjoy add the large later. I think all the eggs are great just depends on your usage and how flexable you willing to be.
  • momcooks
    Options
    It's definately so much better than none. :cheer:
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I faced the same decision a year ago and ultimately opted for a large (with no regrets). If you go to the BGE site you'll see that it has considerably more cooking area than the medium, and (I believe) more height inside the dome. Even if the extra cooking area and internal height isn't critical, it does give you some additional wiggle room when you're setting up for a cook (drip pans, racks, temp probes, etc). The large became my choice after reading a plethora of posts and asking upteen questions on this forum. BTW, I just added a "mini" to my lineup! Regardless of your choice, cooking will become a whole new experience once you bond with your new, BGE!! Enjoy~~ 8 - )

http://www.biggreenegg.com/
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    Just the two of us and we have a large and a medium. Use the medium 70% of the time. We started with the medium and enjoyed the egg experience so much we got the large for when we cook for larger groups. You will enjoy egging no matter what size you get. You can get a lot of food on the meduim.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I have all but the XL.

If you are going to get a small, get a mini and a medium or large.

For the wife and I the mini is fantastic a great choice. With the mini I can usually also cook for 2 or 3 younger grandkids at the same time with the mini.

If you decide to get a medium, make sure you get the 'new/improved' fire ring. If it is the old fire ring spend the extra and get the large. IMHO the 'old' fire ring is too small for the egg, the fire ring has a huge gap between the outer fire ring wall and the inner egg wall.

GG
  • jimbotron
    Options
    Thanks for the note on the fire ring! I'll see whether the proprietors of Woodburners (where I'm buying my egg at next weekend's egg fest) understand what this means and can make any kind of assurance...
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Absolutely love my medium. Have cooked over 20 hours on a load of lump and can cook for 4 to 6 people comfortably. Uses less lump then a large and can be moved much easier. For 98% of my cooks I am glad I have a medium and 2% wish I would have gotten a large. The most important thing to do is get one cause your wasting some of the best eating you will ever have.