Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White Barbecue Sauce

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally did what I should have to begin with: did a Google search on white barbecue sauce, and came up with several pages, all quite similar, but with some interesting minor variations. One of the variations was surprising: they marinated the chicken in the sauce 6 to 8 hours, and discarded the sauce prior to grilling. Following is the recipe attributed to Big Bob Gibson, from an article by Steve Raichlen.
Rub and chicken:
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. brown sugar
2 (3 ?- to 4-lb.) chickens
? cup melted lard, vegetable oil or butter, or olive or vegetable oil, for basting[p]Sauce:
2 cups mayonnaise
1 ? cups cider vinegar
? cup prepared white horseradish, optional
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
? tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste[p]According to Raichlen, Big Bob's cooks chicken halves (breast and backbone removed) with just rub and basting. When the chicken is done, they dip the halves in sauce, and serve.
Ken

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    BlueSmoke, supposedly white BBQ sauce is indigenous to Alabama although I have yet to meet anyone from Alabama who claims to know anything about it. I guess since Big Bob is from 'Bama, that settles it. Now the other side of that is Kentucky's black BBQ sauce. I've never tried that either but may have to make me a batch of black and white for a formal pulled pork dinner.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I've tried Big Bob Gibson's white sauce and it is awesome. As the recipe indicates, you notice mayo, lots of vinegar, and lots of black pepper. The taste is where you notice the mayo; the consistency is pretty thin, though.[p]Excellent on pork, poultry, and fish. Also, and I realize this may sound a little silly, but I've taken to using it as a dipping sauce for McDonald's french fries. Delicious![p]Screw ketchup (and catsup, for that matter),
    Cornfed

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Wise One,
    Black sauce you say... Wish you hadn'a said that - now I've got something new to run down. :-)))
    Thanks,
    Ken

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    As long as you're talking sauce, let me tell you about tonight's dinner; it was made, in part, with your Crossroad's Sauce:
    1/4 cup Dinosaur's Mojito sauce
    1/4 cup Crossroads sauce
    Mix well and pour over two salmon filets - all skin off. Marinate for 2 hours at room temp (right out of fridge). Bake with marinade coating the filets at 350 for 20-30 minutes. Outstanding.

• Wise One
    Options
    Cornfed, is it just me or have you not been posting for a while? Missed you. Don't stay gone so long.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Marvin,
    Thank you for the kind mention. I don't know Dinosaur's Mojito sauce, but I'll check into it.
    Ken

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]That's another good one, though I may be biased since I've had a couple of good times at that place. One of my brothers went to law school up in Syracuse, NY, home of one of the two Dinosaur BBQ joints (the other being in Rochester, NY, I think). I've enjoyed a few meals there, but again, I may be influenced by the fact that I was hanging out with my brothers and friends at the time so I was going to enjoy pretty much anything in that atmosphere.[p]I actually have the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook, which is a very well put together book with some very nice sounding recipes (supposedly the real ones they use in the restaurants). I have a recipe for the Mojito Marinade, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post it since it comes out of the book... My brothers are the lawyers, not me :)[p]Anyway, the Dinosaur folks post lots of their recipes on their website if you want to check it out:
    Recipe of the month
    Main site[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    Wise One,
    With all due respect, I am a native Kentuckian and BBQ addict. I have never heard of a "black sauce". Checked with a couple of professional Qer's and drew a blank from them. Would be interested to know where you encountered mention of the "black sauce".
    Respectfully,
    NDE

• Wise One
    Options
    Strmn2smoke, here's the section o fthe article I read:
    The Black and the White
    There are two regional barbeque sauces in particular that don't wander far from home. If you've never been to the region where they are served, you've probably never tasted them before. These elusive sauces are Alabama's white sauce and Western Kentucky's "black dip". White sauce is a thinner, more tangy cousin to mayonnaise: its vinegar base is thickened and enriched by raw eggs. In its modern incarnations, though, people often skip the hassle of raw eggs and use storebought mayonnaise mixed with vinegar instead. And the region around Owensboro, Kentucky, is probably the only area in the country famous for its barbequed mutton. A plate of boldly flavored mutton would not be complete without black dip on the side - a pungent concoction of vinegar and Worcestershire sauce that stands up to and complements the taste of the mutton. [p]

• Wise One
    Options
    Wise One, not usr ewhy the link did not post

[ul][li]BBQ Sauce Article[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Looks like a good site. Got it bookmarked.
    Thanks
    Ken

• Wise One
    Options
    Strmn2smoke, not sure why, but the last two eMails I have sent you got kicked back with " No such address". Here's a KY Black BBQ Sauce:
    KENTUCKY BLACK BARBEQUE SAUCE
    Source: Paul Kirk's Championship Barbeque Sauces, Harvard Common Press,
    Yield: 3/4 cup
    · 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
    · 1/4 cup minced or grated onion
    · 1/3 cup white vinegar
    · 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    · 3 Tbs. light brown sugar
    · 2 Tbs. instant coffee
    · 1 Tbs.lemon juice
    · 1 tsp. Louisiana hot sauce
    · 1/2 tsp. salt
    · 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    · 1/4 tsp. ground clove
    · 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
    In medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over med-high heat. Saute the
    onion until golden brown. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer
    uncovered until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
    NOTE: "Once the brew goes in, the rather thin sauce turns absolutely black;
    but don't be alarmed- ribs or chicken brushed with this sauce will taste
    better than all right."

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Wise One,
    Having read your Paul Kirk recipe post, NOW I see why you'd want a dish of black and a dish of white! (So do I!)[p]Ken