Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drying chicken for crispiness question

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read posts about air drying chicken in the refrigerator for a period of time to make the skin crispier. I have a pack of whole wings that I intend to cook tomorrow afternoon & I was hoping someone could give me the low down on preparation & time for the drying. My cooking method is 1 hour at 350 direct on a wing hander device (so no flipping or turning). I also coat them in hot sauce & dust heavily in homemade rub. Thanks, Zippy
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Barbes
    Options
    Drying does work. For a whole chicken, some recipes call for three days in the refrigerator, but even a couple of hours make a difference. The basic idea is to wash the chicken as you normally would, dry it meticulously with paper towel, salt it (draws the moisture out), and put it in the refrigerator covered loosely with paper towel. When you're ready to cook spice it as you usually would and proceed.

If you're going to put on sauce before the chicken is cooked, I don't think this will make any difference, though.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Do you mean the drying process won't work if I put sauce on it before the cook (I don't use a heavy bbq sauce or anything, I use just enough bottled hot sauce to make the rub stick)
    happy in the hut
  • Barbes
    Options
    Drying does work. For a whole chicken, some recipes call for three days in the refrigerator, but even a couple of hours make a difference. The basic idea is to wash the chicken as you normally would, dry it meticulously with paper towel, salt it (draws the moisture out), and put it in the refrigerator covered loosely with paper towel. When you're ready to cook spice it as you usually would and proceed.

If you're going to put on sauce before the chicken is cooked, I don't think this will make any difference, though.
  • Carnivor T
    Options
    la temperatura della tua stufa e troppo alta! Scendela di 50 gradi per avere, una pella migliora

CIAO
  • Barbes
    Options
    I think even that will negate the drying process. The cooks who swear by this method insist that the chicken has to be bone dry to get the perfect crispy skin, so putting sauce on defeats the purpose. Do an experiment - dry half your pieces and see if you can tell any difference.
  • Barbes
    Options
    Sorry, double post.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    non sono d'accordo Carnivor, faccio lo stesso temperatura ogni tempo, non credo che e troppo alto :)
    happy in the hut