Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Pork Loin Question

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All -

Getting excited for another Iowa State victory today (and equally as important another ISU Tailgate). I am breaking in the small BGE today to do the cooking. I have my transport built so he will make it safe and sound.

However, I did decide to do a staff outing today at the game, and will be cooking for 20 to 24 people. I want to do smoked pork loin sandwiches. I picked up this 9 lb badboy last night.

RawPorkLoin.jpg

I have smoked pork loin before, but always on my Large, and never really under a time crunch (after all, kickoff is at 6:00 and we can't be late). I have already sliced in fourths, and rigged up a homemade grill extender. I plan on two chucks on the grill and two above on the extender. I will plan on indirect cooking. In the past, I have cooked at a dome of 250 degrees. However, I am not sure how long this usually cooks. I think it was somewhere around three hours.

Parking lots open at noon, and that is when we will arrive. By the time we unpack and get the BGE pumping, meat should be able to go on by 12:30.

1) Do you think I will have enough time to shoot for a 4:30 eat time?

2) Will there be much difference in doing on the small vs. the large?

3) Do you think I need to cook at a higher temp given the time frame?

4) Will the small have enough lump to make it through the cook, or will I have to reload?

As always, I appreciate any help or advice you can give me.

Thanks in advance - and GO CLONES!

Comments

• Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Dave-as a newbie-here goes.........

1) I don't know :huh:
    2)I don't know :huh:
    3)I don't know :huh:
    4)I don't know :huh:

My advice-Don't run out of beer :laugh:

Good Luck!!!!!Have fun!!!!!

Go Penn State!

Brian
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I have always cooked my pork loins at 350 degrees until the internal temp reaches 145 and wrap in foil for 15 or 20 minutes.I like to slice it thin and put some on a hamburger bun with a little bbq sauce.
    Larry
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    Larry -

Any idea how long it takes to hit the 145 mark?

Thanks
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I think about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
    Larry
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    Brian -

I have only ran out of beer once in at a tailgate, and that will be the only time. I pack plenty of beer.

Penn State is my second favorite team one time per year - when ever they play Iowa. I hope you piss pound the hawks this year!
  • DatilpepperBBQ
    Options
    @ 350 i would think about an hour and a half , to 2 hours tops. Just a guess, But I have cooked alot of loins. :whistle:
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    Have you ever done them as low at 250? I don't know why I have been in that routine, probably just following someone's post. With a loin, there doesn't seem to be a big advantage one way or another - probably just how long you want to cook it?
  • kolbdriver
    Options
    Dave,, I have had great success with loins Direct @ 350 till internal of 145. Just coat with with EVOsquared and your favorite seasoning. Turn after about 20 min teen don't open till temp check @ 1 hour. Hope this helps.

Go Razorbacks....
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Hey! Have fun. We'll be dealing with Hurricane Hanna's heavy rains later today. It's supposed to clear out by tomorrow AM. Going tailgating at the Eagles game tomorrow. Using a Webber Q :blush:

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles!!!!!!
  • Fencewire
    Options
    "Parking lots open at noon, and that is when we will arrive."

What? What kind of half assed tailgate is ISU trying to put on there?

I've never done pork on a small, but I've done several tenderloins on my trailered smoker. At 350, esp since you've quartered yours, it should not take over 2 hours to get to the internal of 145. I wouldn't think you'd have any problems keeping the small at that temp for 2 hours though.

Good luck against Kent State. Next week is your big one.
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    In the past the tailgates have gotten a little out of hand, especially with the students and night games. So unfortunately they limit the tailgate to only 6 hours. Kind of horse crap but what do you do.

You are right, next week is the big one.