Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10# Southwest Fajitas

EggZona
EggZona Posts: 108
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, here we go. Hope this works! I Have had my egg for just over 3 months now. Been checking in and out and keeping an eye on the board and gettings lots of ideas. I have done a couple of Pork Butts, Ribs, Chickens etc. I have seen a couple of threads on Fajitas and wanted to share with you how I do them here in Arizona. None of that high dollar meat. Skirt Steak the way the Mexicans do it.

Start with a Skirt Steak
BBQPics006.jpg
Add more Skirt Steak
BBQPics003.jpg
Poke a bunch of holes in them
BBQPics008.jpg
Put the steaks in a container or dish
BBQPics004.jpg
I use a marinade that I found at Costco. I used to have to mix the spices and add citrus juice etc but now that I found it, I just pour it in. It has all the right stuff already in it. Citrus Juice, Garlic, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Cumin, Paprika, etc-
BBQPics010.jpg
Pour it on and pile up the BEEF!
BBQPics011.jpgPut in Frige for 24-36 hours. The citrus juices breaks down the fibers of the meat and leaves it tender and Juicy.
Now, so that you can be sure and grill ALL WEEKEND, throw on some Butts and go to bed.
BBQPics016.jpg
The next day, cut up your onions and bell peppers. I add some of John Henrys "Mohave Garlic Pepper"
BBQPics018.jpg
Cook on them in a WOK on the grill with some EVOO (Remove the Butts)
BBQPics019.jpg
Run the grill hot to use the WOK and then get it as hot as you can. You can't quite see the flamesbut they were there. T-REX I think is what you guys call it? Cook them HOT and FAST. About 3 Min per side.
BBQPics022.jpg

Slice them into thin stips, mix them in with the veggies, wrap them up in a flour tortilla, and enjoy the flavor! They will be tender, juicy and packed with Flavor.

We were hosting a Birthday BBQ for my wifes sister. Everybody was arriving and I Didn't get any pictures of the final product. Use will have to use your imagination from this point on.

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I see you got the pictures to work. You did a good job on both the pictures and the food. Looking real good.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Thanks now I am hungry :)
  • Outstanding, I made some a couple weeks ago using a Chili's copy cat recipe. they were simple to make and very tasty. I sure your product tasted much better. I believe it is time for round two on this dish. It's so simple but the taste is fantastic. Good job!
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Fajita's are probably my favorite Mexican food. We have some great restaurants here in the Phoenix area that serve up the best Fajita's known to man. I have been working on perfecting them on and off for over 20 years. No matter what I did, I could not match the flavor. I have used various marinades from dry spice mixes to the bottles etc. I have scoured the web for receipes and could not find anything. As a matter of fact, the word Fajita has been dumbed down to refer to anything that is wrapped up on a tortilla. However, I far as I know, this receipe comes the closest to authentic that I know of.

One day my wife comes home with this bottle of marnide from Costco. I read the ingrediants and am impressed. I gave it a try and now we are having Fajita's every week! It also makes a great Pollo Asado (Charbroiled Chicken) marinade. I will do one of those for you guys in the future.

Interesting findings from all my research is the discovery of 3 interesting facts that seem to get overlooked in most of the receipes that I have reviewed that are the most important in creating authentic flavor.

1)Has to be Skirt or Flank Steak!

2)No citrus or the use of dried citrus. It has to be a liquid based marinade. Not dried citrus. If you can find a spice mix that calls for the addition of real citrus juce (Orange Juice, Lime Juice, or combinations) then it will produce better results. If you use the authentic meats, Skirt or Flank Steak, you will need the citrus to break down the fibers and tenderize the meat.(I have done it both ways and while the Flank Steak is much leaner, the fat in the Skirt Steak adds lots of flavor and is much better tasting)

3)It has to be marinaded overnight. I see many recipes that recommend that you marinade for very short periods. This just does not work. I suggest at least 24 hours and you can even let it go for up to 48!

4)It has to have Cumin. I like lots of Cumin. Probably twice the recommended amount of Cumin is not to much.

Another thing that I do when I am just cooking for the family vs. 25 people that I did above. Is to sear the meat meat hot and quick but leave it rare. Same with the veggies. Then let it sit a few minutes before you slice. Then right before you eat, get your WOK nice and hot and mix the meat and veggies togeather in the WOK for a final stir fry and get them piping hot!

I also failed to mention the fixins. Of course basic toppings like Sour Cream and Gucamole are favorites. But if you want to take it 1 step further you can use Pico De Gallo and/or Baja Sauce.

Pico De Gallo is pretty much a fresh salsa. Use chopped tomatoes, Onions and fresh cilantro plus a pepper of your choice. Either Jalapano or Green Chili Peppers to add some KICK. Salt & Pepper to taste.

Baja Sauce is the mixing of sour cream & cream cheese with some Jalapano or Green Chile juice. It is a great topping for any Mexican Dishies.

If you can't find the marinade in your area, let me know and I will pick some up and ship it to you!

ENJOY!
  • Nice looking fajitas, EZ. I do my veggies on the Egg, but in a grill pan...I love the smokey flavor:

DSC00204.jpg