Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wanting to build smoke stack on the egg

Options
Smoking Jeffie
Smoking Jeffie Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the last couple years I have seen where people have added smoke stackes to the egg. Would this help increase the draw of the egg? Would increase the smoke? Would it make the egg burn hotter? Why would I want to use one?

Thank You

Water Head

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Most cases I've seen is where the Egg was outside (not under cover) and they wanted to cook when it was raining or snowing. The 'rain cap' acted in a simple fashion so as to allow the smoke to escape with no addition restriction while keeping the precip out of the cooking chamber. I've never heard of anyone using one to enhance the smoking process.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    ive seen stacks built to transfer smoke away from a balcony. the egg will burn in the 1100 to 1200 degree range without added drafts and or fans. maybe hotter, but thats as hot as ive ever wanted to cook anything
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I remember seeing someone on here used one, it may have been to get his egg up to temp quicker, but I don't exactly remember.

I remember because at the time it seemed like a good solution to an issue I was having- but I can't remember what that was! I had a length of stovepipe (about 18") that I could use on the Egg but it's diameter was too tight so it wouldn't sit comfortably on the chimney.

I think it was to boost the combustion process - get the temp hotter quicker (for cheap).
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I tried a 4' stack for starting but it didn't seem like it made any difference.

If I were to try it again I would need to time the startup and record the temps to really know.

GG
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I use mine strictly to keep the rain out of Miss Daisy. Air flow is air flow. I've never experienced any acceleration or deceleration of heat when I used it.

Hope that helps.

DSCN2956.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can often improve the draft of a chimney to a certain extent by making it higher and/or narrower. but i don't recall ever seeing anyone do it on an egg.

i guess it might work, but as fishless said, it hits 800 or so without it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I agree Mr Stikingham.

Someone here was getting tangible results by incorporating a 2 to 3 foot length of 8" dia duct or stovepipe. don't recall seeing photos but he was definitely doing it with notable success.

It was entirely different than the rain cap devices some of us employ (like the DG pic in previous post) for cooking in the rain.