Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking side orders!!!

Options
sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know many of you have 2nd&3rd eggs for cooking sides while your meat is cooking on one egg,but couldn"t you still cook sides after u take your meat off using the same egg? While your meat is setting? I could be wrong but wouldn"t your egg still be hot enough to put on sides and finish cooking while the meat is setting and the wife is making salad..Most of you usually let your meat set for 30min.-1hr.right? Bge advertizes cooking a whole meal at one time,but i can"t recall seing or hearing any posts to that effect.Is that just a P.O.S. advertisement or is there anyone that cooks a whole meal at once..Sorry for jumping from one thing to the next,but i had to type it while it was coming to this 46yr.old,old,mind of mine :) thanks "peace".

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You can cook a whole meal at once. I have done steaks, potatoes, and asparagus on the same egg. I have done salmon and squash, chicken and sliced veggies, and many other meals on one egg.

It is easier to do with two eggs, especially if the two items you are cooking require a long time to get done and cook at vastly different temperatures. Also, if you are cooking a lot of food then you have to stagger your items. I do chicken parts on one egg and hobo potatoes on another for example.

Yes, you can cook your sides after taking off the meat, but things like chicken, steaks, and chops may not hold their heat long enough for you to get everything done.

Here are a few combo meals done on one egg at the same time:

ChickensandTaters.jpg

RoastingSmall-1.jpg

ChickenDone800.jpg

DoneSmall-1.jpg
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I have three eggs and still sometimes just use one.Like these wings and corn on the cob on the medium :)

024-4.jpg

Chicken and corn on the XL :)

009-23.jpg

Burgers,fries and romaine lettuce on the medium

021-2.jpg

Pork tenderloin and asparagus on the medium :)

014-10.jpg

And finally,ribs and beans on the XL.I hope this helps you out ;)

036.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Steaks or thin meat - no. Roasts, brisket, butts, chuck most of the time.

If you watch the pictures there are a lot of full meal pictures.

If what ever your cooking needs about the same temps then put on first what will take the longest.

Chicken can be cooked from 250° up to 500°, spuds & corn about the same (higher end needs a raised grid).

All you have to do is plan a little.

GG
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL yes we do. I cook most of our meals for the two of us on the med egg. I will mix foods that let me stage different cook times. Like bakers on first, then sear some steaks and toss on some grilled romaine lettuce. I like cooking in parchment a lot and do veggies and fish in there and then foil pouches with other veggies in them. I have a lot of cast iron pans that are 4-9 inches that we have cut the handles off from and do mushrooms, onions or other veggies in them with the meat on the side. I have an egg addiction... I admit it and love having three here to cook on and I am sad when I go out to the gazebo and know the large is at the studio all by itself. sometimes I use two eggs. but tonight was just the minis night it seared some very nice strip steaks that were just rubbed down with fresh garlic and crushed pepper. god I love my eggs. and am glad that is plural :silly: :lol: Julie
  • DatilpepperBBQ
    Options
    Those are some kicked back chickens!
  • DatilpepperBBQ
    Options
    Did you use a saw or torch to take the handles off? thanks
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I usually cook the scampi, while the egg is cooling down with the TRex steaks on.
    scampi5.jpg

Mike
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    those are great pict..thanks
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    thanks for all your responses and pict...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    LOL - like a play book your first picture included the fancy baker potato presentation I love to serve to company along with prime rib and au jus. Works for me!
    IMG_2213.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I got those from you...here on this forum no less.

I love doing them.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I use my second egg for sides especially if I do not want to pick up a smoke taste from the large.
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    Tons of good posts here on doing a whole meal at once, but to answer one of your questions, it may depend on what you're cooking. For instance, when I cook butts I always plan to have them off the egg 3-4 hrs ahead of time, wrapped in foil, and in a cooler so plenty of time to raise the temp to do burgers, sides, etc.

My longest cook ever was a medium with an overnight for butts then covered it up, then my dad brought Brunswick stew over in a D.O. that we set on to keep warm still closed up, then right before the party we opened it back up and within minutes were doing burgers and dogs for the kids. I believe the total burn time was 26-27 hrs. This in addition to an XL with 6 racks of BB ribs running beside it for 5+ hrs. Lots of food can be made with a little planning.