Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uneggabelievable

Options
sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got home from work and could not go to bed before i wrote this note.I"ve been lurking around this forum for awhile now,have an xl. on layway and never tasted anything from an egg until today. there was a dealer cooking some ham on the egg and i happen to stop by and got the last 4inch long 1/4inch thick piece left, boy was i eggcited to finally get to taste something. Though it was small, i couldn"t believe how juicy and tender it was (uneggabelievable),made it into a sandwich and went at it. Now i"m really sold on the egg from a tiny piece of meat. I just could not wait to get home and tell ya"ll how eggcited that made my day. im suppose to be sleep and im up typing. Now it"s a rush job to get mine off of layaway. Love ya"ll and this forum...Good night/or this morning (whatever)..Peace..

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    ham??

me likey ham

101_0287.jpg

101_0410.jpg

101_0408.jpg

here is the recepie.. you have to change oven to egg ;)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/city-ham-recipe/index.html

i did it in the oven the first time :ohmy:

still pretty d@mn good ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I never realized you didn't have an egg, I knew you were waiting to get the XL but I thought you were cooking on something smaller.

Moreover I can't believe you have not tasted anything cooked on an egg, wow.

You should have taken the hambone the dealer had, that is gold.

Bente has given you a great link for a ham and there is some others.

I pick up spiral cut ham that has been pre-smoked. I then cook (heat actually) it on the egg. I leave it in the cryovac and inject it with 8 oz of Maple. and let it sit.

Put it on the large mead down, bone cap off and cryovac off just before putting on the egg flat side down like Bente's pictures. I usually use the 'glaze' they provide with the ham and cook/heat it up to 140° internal, the rest will go up to 145° - 150°. Remember it is pre-cooked. Cooking it much higher will tend to dry the ham slices out.

This stuff tastes much better than Honey Baked Ham. Someone sent me a recipe & procedure on how honey baked gets their glase to a candy state. When you get to cooking a ham and if you want let me know and I will get it to you.

Anyway, after eating the ham, take the bone which will have some meat on it and put it in a pan, add water and some split peas (or lima beans, or northern beans or...) and make some soup. Oh my heck, that is the best darn soup. The bone is gold.

I haven't cooked on an XL but make sure you have the accessories so you can cook the ham.

And, get your egg out of layaway and get cooking. You are going to kick you own butt for not doing it sooner.

BTW, both bente's link and the method above are great what to do ham.

GET cooking, GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Well if you put a Large on Layaway you'll have it faster.. Just a thought!!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Similar story, I went to a garden/outdoor furniture store with a friend for reasons I cannot remember, & there was a guy cooking wings & pulled pork on an egg & giv'n out samples, I tasted some of each, went home, searched out my local dealer, & bought a large probably within less than a week of that taste-testing. 5 years later I am still amazed at what comes off of that thing :woohoo:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I had never tasted anything either when I bought the large egg. :) Hubby was not to impressed that I spent $$ on something that we had not a clue about. LOL we have always discussed any purchases that involve big bucks. I brought it up a few times and I did not get a "NO" cause I always stopped the conversion before it got to that point. so I just did it :whistle: the rest is history LOL :cheer:
  • Smokin' Todd
    Options
    Welcome to the board!
    ST(sirdrinkalot)
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    When I was studying English....a long....long....time ago..... :unsure: ....I used to think that learning a few new words every day will allow me master the Shakespearean languaje faster.....Reading your Post's Subject today leaves me no doubt that this learning process is still going on nowadays..... :laugh:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Thats awesome. I am betting you get the XL off layaway and full of lump within days now.

My first taste of egged food was my first cook. A pork picnic that I did low/slow. I was amazed at the result, and have been hooked ever since.
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    Alton Brown rocks. Darn his mom-a and those gingersnaps. Good recipe, but the mustard was a bit strong for my taste.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I also bought mine based on word of mouth without having tasted anything. I got it for my husband for father's day. :laugh:
  • Rollocks
    Options
    I had never tasted anything off an egg prior to purchasing my XL either. I had been contemplating getting one for a couple years. At the time I had 2 charcoal smokers. A brinkman bullet type with the water pan and a chargriller barrel type with a firebox.

I took the plunge the day after I sold my boat. I figured I should spend the money quickly, before it was spent on something like new cabinets for the kitchen. Now 3 years and 2 more eggs, I'm finally ordering new cabinets for the kitchen. Glad I got the eggs first. LOL
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    it did not bother me but i tend to put mustard on ham anyway ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• sirlancealot
    Options
    Eggs before cabinets right?(Priorities in place) :);)
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    That"s true too. I might have to add a little more money and stop when i get to the large..just a thought!!
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    My family loves that recipe as is, so I end up making it for them. I don't put mustard on burgers or anything. I am often outnumbered.