Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tip: Dirty Eggmates, Clean Them Up!!!

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been over a year and I am not sure how much over 400# of lump.

Here is a quick Grandpas Grup Tip...

Are your eggmates and handle ugly like mine?

eggmateclean1.jpg

With very little effort..

eggmateclean2.jpg

They can look like this or better without sanding or any other hard work...

eggmateclean3.jpg

eggmateclean4.jpg

Eggmate cleaning, version 1.0.

For a long time I have wanted to get my eggmates so they were not so dirty from lump dust, food and other unknown substances.

I had been thinking of buying the new style mates, using my power tools, or buying new wood.

I could not believe how easy it was to lift off all that black crud. I tried several different methods and this is what seems to work the best.

I grabbed some paper towels and 91% rubbing alcohol. Soaked the paper towel and began rubbing.

1/2 sheet of paper towel, soak with alcohol. Work on 1/2 slat at a time. Rub the alcohol on the board back and forth, light pressure at first just to get it wet then a little harder, tough scrubbing please.

When the towel gets black turn the towel. When dirty turn inside out or move to a clean surface. It is important not to over dirty the towel surface or you will not be removing the crud.

Change to a new towel and keep working that 1/2 slat until you get it clean. It is pretty easy to see when the towel surface has been worked too much and needs turning.

On the second side of the mates I decided to pre-soak the slats - WRONG, don't do it!!! Work 1/2 slat at a time.

It seems that pre-soaking allowed the crud to mix with the alcohol and has a tendency to seap into the wood. I couldn't get the pre-soaked slats as clean as with working 1/2 slat at a time.

It took no effort and cleaned quicker than I expected.

Typing this I wonder if acetone would cut the crud quicker. Someone one needs to try using acetone and let us know. Maybe we can make this Eggmate cleaning version 2.

It sure is nice to see some wood on those well used eggmates.

Hope this helps some of you out there.

GG

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    thanks i save your methoude

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggoholic
    Options
    Or you could spray some wash on it and hit it with a pressure washer
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That might work but getting the pressure washer out would probably take more time and effort then using paper towl.

Both sides probably took 15 minutes. I was amazed how quick the alcohol cut that dirt.

GG
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    Thanks for the Tip. Mine are getting close to needing it.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Funny: I am actually in the middle of refinishing mine now. I sanded on them for a week in my spare time. Finally got them cleaned up, 3 coats of weatherproofer, dried and ready to mount back on the egg this weekend.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Nice tips.

I used to do the same thing using one of those citrus oil cleaners like orange glo or some such name.

Literally spray on and wipe away the crud.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I don't think there was any coating/protection when they were new.

Of course your's will come out much better, use this method to clean those new ones up when they get a littley dirty. I tried Mr. Clean wipes and this method was 10x better.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I was trying Weekend's Warrior alcohol starting, again.

I noticed the alcohol was taking the measuring marks off the injector. I looked at the missing numbers, down at the eggmates and poured more alcohol on the paper towel then onto the mates. I was amazed it cleaned up as easy as it did.

When they get dirty again I will try some of the citus cleaners. It will be interesting to see which works better.

Thanks for the input.

Kent
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Mine came as bare wood from the factory and were a mess after a short time. I decided to go all out and after removing them they got a good sanding followed by 3 coats of lacquer. Made a huge difference and now they wipe clean with a damp towel.
    PB1.jpg

Gator1.jpg

Anyone else had enough of hurricanes & politics??
  • those are only a year old? :whistle:

i took off a pretty good circular stain with clorox disinfecting wipes... they kill the flu virus, ya know :woohoo:

my eggmates don't look so bad

808bristul6-004.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Mine had black rings on it from setting the Daisy Wheel on it. They are all pertty now!