Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing EGGcessories

Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking ahead to winter, I'm working out the details of a better setup for the Eggs. Currently, the Large in it's nest is at the end of a concrete walk to nowhere, the Small in its nest is on the lawn alongside it, and a decommissioned small Weber gasser acts as a tool box.

When we just had the Small, all of the EGGcessories fit inside the Weber. Most of the EGGcessories for the Large are too big, so I have them in the bike shed about 60 feet away. That's not a problem now, but when we have two feet of drifting snow it will be.

I like compact working arrangements (our kitchen is 8' by 8') and plan to build a 6' square "deck" (actually it will look more like a shipping pallet) to get the eggs up out of the slush and mud. The Large will reside in one corner. The Small will be diagonally opposite. My chair will be in one of the remaining corners. (The fronts of both Eggs will face the chair.) And, hopefully, something that replaces the Weber will sit in the 4th corner.

My thought, today, is to build some open shelves of PT wood leave anything made of stainless out in the weather with just the things I want to keep dry in waterproof boxes. The alternative of trying to build a weatherproof cabinet is too daunting. Unless, somebody makes something that would do the job. I've looked at the big Rubbermaid cabinets at Home Depot but the ones deep enough for the 18" cast iron grate are too big otherwise for my little "deck."

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• I store everything in those snap together storage boxes that you get ant the home stores, Target, Khls, Wal_mart etc. I thing they are Sun???? and I am finding them marked down in the sesonal sections. They keep it all safe and dry and allow a place to sit down also.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i usually keep my stuff in a rubbermaid box cost about $5 i keep my lump inside the house where it will be dry here is a photo

Picture.jpg

hope this help ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i keep my stuff in the back of the truck as i goback and forth each week between my eggs. how bout something like a wooden toy box that doubles as a seat.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Purchased a 6' dual door utility cabinet. 3 internal shelf's. Works great.

GG
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    move to a warmer climate!

;o)
  • I have my "rig", wooII, and all the other goodies in a big plastic trashcan. with the lid snapped on, nothing gets in. My wife thinks it is ugly and has informed me that she will have a heavy cedar shell custom made to cover the trash can.
    Note to TJV: while it is true your prices are very reasonable for all of your products, it seems that I should have budgeted an extra $1000.00 or so....
  • My thoughts exactly. But all the grandkids are here, so we are here.

Kent
  • I use a Rubbermaid Deck box and it stores everything.I have my lump, extra smoking wood chips lighter, deep fyrer, all the acces. for outdoor cooking.

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg
  • I keep my stuff in a click-together cabinet I got at Home Depot for about $85. It's not weatherproof, but I put it under an eave and everything stays nice and dry:

DSC01088.jpg
  • RVH-'s mention of a trash can got me thinking about round storage containers, and I realized I already have a round container - the Large BGE. I got out all of my EGGcessories that don't fit in the decommissioned Weber and put them in the Large: Spider, cast iron grate, Adjustable Rig, oval grate, 14" drip pan and porcelain grate. And it all fits. All I have to do is add a marine plywood shelf under the Weber to hold the bits I'm not using when the Large is hot and I should be in business. I'm planning to store my lump in the basement, which stays dry, and keep just a small trash can of it out in the cooking area.
  • Eggscaper and Jeffersonian have some nice outdoor storage containers. I was tempted to go that route when my egg was fairly new and still in the nest, but then my egg grew up and left the nest so now I have this:

01-front.jpg
    07-front.jpg
    tableaccessories1.jpg
    tableaccessories2.jpg
    egglights2.jpg

Yes, it took a few weeks to complete that project and it was daunting. I almost didn't do it. But it makes things so much easier now and I benefit from it every single day. I can leave everything out in the rain, snow, ice, wind, etc. and nothing gets damaged or lost. No rats or wild animals break in to explore or lick up the ABT residue. The entire structure is waterproof and should last 10-20 years with nothing more than a light cleaning. So it was money and time well spent. If you cook as often as most of us on this forum then you will not regret the investment.
  • I love it! My table is similar, so maybe we (meaning my husband) can adapt ours. Do the doors slide? I can't really tell from the pic. Thanks.
  • It is a basic table design made from common lumber with minimal cutting needed. The back and side panels are made from 1/4" luan furniture-grade plywood which was then covered with standard vinyl siding to make it lightweight and virtually weatherproof. The doors are made the same as the sides although I mounted them on sliding stainless steel drawer tracks which are available in the cabinet parts section of Lowes. This allows all 3 doors to slide in either direction and the 2 end doors can be removed and replaced easily. When not in use I just slide them shut and it keeps all the accessories clean, dry, and critter free even in rain or high winds.

A very detailed table report is posted here on the forum but be patient as it takes a while to load all the photos. You don't have to make your table as complex as I did but once I got started I just kept adding little trim options and features. Now I am SO GLAD that I put the extra time into it because it is so easy to cook on and store everything right there where I need it. Keeps the clutter out of the kitchen too so the wife is happy. Plus I cook almost every day on it so it has paid off many times over.
  • WOW! Again - love it. I think we'll be upgrading our table. Thanks