Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome gauge calibration?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does the bge dome temp gauge need to be re-calibrated
from time to time or does it remain pretty accurate?
Thanks.

Comments

• temp-watcher,[p] Definitely recalibrate it from time to time, especially after an ultra-high-temp cook. Get a pan of water really boiling, then put tip of thermometer in water, making sure not to be too near the sides of the pan. Adjust with the nut on the back until you get 212, or whatever boiling temp is at your altitude.[p]MikeO
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    temp-watcher, Most of the time the thermometers are close to accurate, but sea level variations are common. Bring a pan of water to boil and insert just the tip in the water about a inch or so..Not on the bottom or touching the edges of the pan. Adjust to 212 by the nut on the underside of the dial face on the stem. Just takes a tweak or two to adjust the needle. Once set they seem to hold for quite a while. I have two that I check from time to time and they stay on the money. Or a degree or two off.. Not enuff to make any difference..takes 10 to 20 degrees to affect your cooking ranges..:-) IMHO anyway..Cheers..C~W[p]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    temp-watcher,
    An alternate method is to check the grate temperature with an oven thermometer. It will normally read about 25 degrees less than the dome temp which the BGE thermometer measures. Once you get above 500 or 550F it doesn't really make much difference how accurate the gauge is.
    JimW

• JimW,
    I tried that and boy was my wife impressed! Now her nice oven thermometer looks like a smoked fish. Thanks for the info.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S11_27_9916_34_04.jpg
    <p />temp-watcher, check out the link below - it talks about calibrating the dome and also has a boiling point of water calculator if you really want to get exact. I do mine every couple of months. Good luck!

[ul][li]Calibration[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Gfw, that was beautifully done...! It leaves no question unanswered..Thanks!
    C~W[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Char-Woody, after a week in San Diego (sunny and 75 degrees) I'm back in Illinois - lots of good Mexican food in SD but no BBQ -- BBQ Pork Chops tonight!

• Gfw, you needed a break from fine foods...Not sure about tonight here..maybe a pizza??