Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small egg questions

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a small ceramic cooker at home and love it. Borrowed a friends mini for a two week vacation. Just got back. It was great. I don't want to go on another vacation without one. But, I think I want the next size up. Just what can you cook on a small? What size boson butt? What size turkey? How long will it cook @ 200 to 250 degrees? Will it go 12 or 18 hours without adding charcoal? Is the ceramic thicker on the small than the mini? Any other comparisons would be appreciated.
(I tried to do a search for small, the summaries show up, but the links aren't opening. Am I doing something wrong?) Is it my mac?
Also, how much doesn the small weigh? Any tricks to carrying it around? Should it hold up to travel, as long as I don't drop it? Warranty cover breakage as long as it's not dropped?

Comments

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Butterfly_chick_on_Small_egg.jpg
    <p />Wade,[p]I have a Large, Small and Mini egg. I use the Small 75% of the time. I would give my right arm before giving up the Small egg. I have no problem cooking for three. You would be suprised at how much food you can prepare on a well heated Small egg. For long low & slows, I use the Large egg. It is well suited for shorter indirect cooks.[p]We take our Small to the lake on every trip. Just buckle it in a seat and off you go.[p]Carl T[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    tim&smallegg.jpg
    <p />Wade,[p]I am somewhat confused - you say you have a small ceramic cooker but ask questions about a small Bge. Not sure what small ceramic cooker you have. [p]I use mine for mostly grilling and only took it off my deck this one time when Nature Boy and I went fishing down the road to Salvo, NC. It can go 12-18 hrs if you do a lo&slo cook. Can't tell you what size turkey if will hold since I use my other ceramic cookers for that. It isn't real heavy - 65lbs and has a 13" grid. Don't move it around to much on the stand as it is somewhat top heavy and they can easily fall over - not good for them and not covered under the warranty. You can get a slide/daisy top for it and cook just about anything you can fit into it -- nice grill/smoker.[p]The archives don't work well - even for a Mac.[p]Tim
  • Carl T,
    Question - why the firebricks in the picture of your small egg?
    Doc Pigg

• Carl T,
    What size fire bricks are you using on your small? Where can you purchase these things?

• Wade, When the links do not show up in the archives, try clicking on the little button at the bottom of your computer screen next to the start button. Being rather technology challenged, I can not explain why, but it works in opening the archival links.

• Carl T
    Doc Pigg,[p]To raise the bird farther from the coals. Check out doing spatchcocked chickens at the Naked Whiz's site.[p]Carl T
  • Carl T
    dgoat,[p]These are the standard split fire bricks. You need to check out masonry or fireplace supply stores. I happen to have a gravel, precast, masonry supply house two blocks from the office.[p]Carl T
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    VermontQ.jpg
    <p />Wade,
    Have not read the other responses, but I just wanted to comment that the small is a piece of cake to transport. I can lift it easily with all the guts inside, and I strap it down in the back of my pathfinder. As long as you secure it from rolling around, you should not have a problem transporting. It sure makes eating in the wilderness shweeeeet!! You can cook for at least 8 hours at 200-250. This is a shot of my solo camping in Vermont last week. It handled the ride on the 4 wheel drive road very well, and also was up to the task of helping me cook up some killer Vermont maple sausage, country ribs, steak and chicken. I ate good![p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tim M,
    Just saw this post! Man, that was a fun day. Again, sorry about the umbrella![p]hehe
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Nature Boy,
    Hey NB......where in VT were you camping? I am from Montpelier and am trying to figure where that picture was taken from.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]It would have been fun to see it flying across the beach. Haven't missed it for 1 second. People come and visit and bring those things, I call them beach projectiles - I have more I wish would blow away. Yes, it was a fun day - lets do it again next year, but we'll catch more fish. I just got back from lunch and one person with us had the special -Spot. She got 4 on her plate for lunch. They look like too much work to eat. Hope hope the hernia from lifting the small egg gets better soon. We call you "Yon Hung Lo".[p]Tim
  • Thanks guys for the good info and great pics. I've got to get one of these little travelers and go camping, soon! I should have some pics from last weeks borrowed mini @ Hunting Island state park and the HJ in Beaufort SC. Will post after I remember how to post a pic here again.
  • Is the new hinge now shipping and available with the small???