Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt - Refill the drip pan?

Options
Riley
Riley Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All:

I'm doing a butt at 225. It's my first butt, and I'm following the Elder Ward recipe on NW's site. I put a cup of sauce in the drip pan, and don't plan on lifting the lid again until she's done.

Would it be bad not to check the drip pan to see if there is liquid left in it? Or should I check it out and refill as necessary?

Thanks!

Comments

• When I use a drip pan under butts, I put some type of spacer between the platesetter & pan. If I do that, due to fat melting into the pan, it usually has a greater volume in it at the end of a cook than at the beginning. Hope this helps.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I keep some liquid in the pan to keep the drippings from burning.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    To answer you question, sometimes I add apple juice to the pan occasionally and sometimes I don't. Whatever you decide is fine, but you want to slow cook it not steam cook it. A little bit of liquid is better than alot.

On another note, you would do better to try and keep your dome temp at 250. Some eggs do just fine holding steady 225 on their own, but most don't. If you don't have a power draft (Guru or a Stoker) keeping your fire for you, 250 would be better bet. Mark
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i might add some cider vinegar and water to the sauce and make sure to raise the pan off the platesetter. i dont put anything in a pan for butts, but if im making pulled beef i will put some guinness in the pan so beer would work as well. just sauce might burn
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I never put liquid in the drip pan. It really isn't necessary.

That being said, do as others have recommended and get something between your pan and the platesetter to keep the sauce/drippings from burning.

And be honest with yourself, if this is your first butt, you're gonna peek a few times. It's OK, really. We all peek from time to time - except for a certain Wolf.

The 250 dome temp is also a good recommendation. If you try to cook it at 225 you may be more susceptible to fire or temp issues, but more importantly it will take a long time to cook since your grid temp will hang out 20-30 degree lower than your dome temp for much of the cook. Eventually the temp difference seems to decrease, but why struggle at 225? A butt at 250 or even 260 will be every bit as good.
  • Riley
    Options
    OK. My grid is at 237 now. So I should try to keep it around here, or take the grid to 250? I'm just not sure of the discrepancy between grid and dome.

Thanks again.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Are you measuring grid temp using an external device?

If so, then let it cruise right there and you'll be fine.

What does your dome thermometer read?
  • Riley
    Options
    Using the ET-73 on the grid, and in the meat. My dome right now is at 260 with the grid at 240.

Thanks for the help!
  • Fidel
    Options
    That sounds about right. I'd let it go right there.

Keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't rise too much more from there. Keep the grid temp at or below 250 and you'll be in good shape.
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    With the butt I did last week, I poured a beer plus equal volume apple juice in the drip pan. Drip pan sat on fire bricks, second grid on top of this. After 16 hr and no peeking, I removed the butt. The drip pan was filled about one inch deep with a thick, spongy stuff (looked like a souffle). It wasn't burned and lifted right out of the pan. The fire bricks (new) had only a trace outline of where the pan had rested on them. Didn't bother tasting the stuff, but it sure was different than the usual drippings.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I bet even the "WOLF" has peaked before!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I don't think so, not the Wolf.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Riley,

Fidel has you on the straight and narrow.

With that said, I remember my first months of egg cooking.

I was so concerned about exact temps & times, drip pans, what constituted indirect, how much smoke, vent settings and on and on.

Nothing is 'set in stone' and nothing has to be exact. For example chicken can be cooked from 200° (or probably lower) to 500°. I would not be surprised it it hasn't been cooked at higher temps. I have done whole or spatchcock chicken at 350°, 400°, 450° and 500° for about 1 hr. and it has always come out moist and great tasting.

BTW, the higher temp chicken cooks are about the only cook I have been able to time correctly.

Take notes and experiment and get a Therompen if you don't have one.

Enjoy,
    GG
  • Riley
    Options
    I'm hoping my Thermapen will come in soon! Thanks for the tips!

I'm at 169 now with the grid at 237. Haven't peeked yet, and don't plan to. :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    LOL...

Peek, just a quick peek. But when you do peek also enjoy the aroma of what's inside the egg.

GG
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    No, don't peek! Like the Naked Whiz says, "The women will be impressed by your ability to hold back." So don't do it. (If you absolutely have to, try sneaking a peek by lifting the daisy off the chimney and looking around down in there. Be careful, though, might be hot. Smells good, don't it?)
  • Perennial Smoke
    Options
    I don't use a drip pan. I just did 3 big ones at once for the Sandwich Fair - they came out great! 16 hours at about 215 degrees. The crowds are loving it and it's helping me sell a couple EGGS...
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I use drip pan but do not put any juice in it. I beleive it is just a matter of preference as the butt will come out great either way