Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is BGE saltwater/hurricane proof?

Options
Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,972
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know if the BGE can withstand saltwater getting inside of it? I am on the coast in FL and have a couple of big storms ahead and am worried about the egg getting flooded. Unfortunately, it is just to big to evacuate with it!
Thanks for any info.
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Probably wouldn't do it any good but perhaps your subsequent cooks would be seasoned with an extra touch of "sea salt"! 8 - ) Seriously, is there any way that you could elevate the unit above the high-water level..perhaps with some help, setting it up on concrete blocks? Where are you located (I'm in Bradenton, 11' above mean sea level). Hope you have flood ins!
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    Had a friend in NOLA whose large BGE made it though Katrina. he said he cleaned it out and fired it up with no problem. They build larges into charter fishing boats to cook for customers, they handle saltwater everyday.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Neat-OH!! 8 - )
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thanks for the info. It sits in a table approx. 4 feet above my dock. If there is any sort of storm surge, my BGE will be sitting in salt water. There is no way to move it any higher. Believe me, I would if I could!!
    I have owned it for 12 years and its a part of the family!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    If it is in the immediate path of a Hurricane, water is not the only concern.
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    You might want to check out Tim M's web site. He lives by the sea and has dealt with this stuff. Check him out. He is an accomplished "Q"er

http://www.tm52.com/bge/
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thanks MAC , will do.

Yes, Bacchus, I have flood insurance, it's mandatory here. Just know it doesn't cover anything on the ground floor, only the 2nd floor!

I was looking for answers from others who might be in the same position. It's not IF I will flood, but rather WHEN.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    The Ceramic will survive the water. If the winds are strong enough you might want to take the top off so it doesn't blow off.

Honestly as I get ready for Hanna everything that can easily blow away will come off the porch. My Eggs will be secured to the porch.