Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help--party/pork

opod
opod Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Like so many eggers out there, i have been "tasked" by my family to provide pulled pork for my mother's b-day part--50th. Problem is twofold. One is that it is in chicago and i am in tennessee, 8 hrs away. Two is that there will be 35-40 adults and up to 20 kids--most under age 10. I have a large egg. Questions:
1. How much pork should i smoke? I could probably do 4-6 shoulders/smoke
2. how to get them up there and serve? i was figuring smoking, pulling, then putting in vaccum-bags and freeze. put them in cooler, letting them thaw during the drive, then dip the bags in boiling water, place in a roaster on low and serve.
Any suggestions on serving large groups of people from those who have done it before? I've smoked about 8-10 shoulders but never to such a large group of people.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I just came back from vacation at the Jersey shore. I live in Lawrenceville, GA and I was flying up there. I provided pulled pork for 25 adults. I cooked two butts, approx 19 lbs before the cook. Once cooked I pulled the pork and froze it for 4 days. We then sent it overnight on UPS.

It arrived on Wed and the party was Sat. When it arrived at the Shore it was still frozen and my friends put it in the freezer until Fri AM. We let it defrost in the fridge until Sat. The party started at 1PM Sat. About 11:30 I put it in a big pot and added almost 2 cans of Coke to the pulled pork.

We served it with Maurices & Sweet Baby Ray's on white bread, pickles cole slaw and chips...We had enough left overs for sammiches the next day for 12 adults....
  • Your first problem 8 hrs drive time solves your second problem a lot of people.

Put in the fridge or freezer then reheat. I have found that pulled pork is always as good or better on the second day (mine anyway).

Take the number of people you have to feed and divide by 2.4 That will give you the number of raw pounds you need to cook.

Celtic Wolf also has a formula he uses and is on his site. Both methods will come out pretty close to one another.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    frozen works great, i add a couple tbls spoons of a 50/50 mixture of coke and low sodium chicken brothe to the bag before serving. 2.4 servings per pound is what i have used as well. i dont cook it all at once in the boiling water, i cook a good amount, then add to it as needed, that way you may still have some frozen leftovers to give out or take home after the party.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I served PP to a party of 30 last night, and 2 butts, 15lbs before cooking, was gone very quickly. That figures out to 2 servings per pound. I'm sure if I had cooked a third butt it would have been eaten as well. -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    its always good to bring extra, just dont reheat it all at once just in case, having too much is a good thing. im assuming there is going to be all sorts of food for the party hes bringing the pork to. my events are usually ice fishing feasts, there is alot of food besides the pork. with his event there is 20 kids and alot of them are going to want hotdogs im betting.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Wow Kim, that is very cool.
    I'm kind of surprised it kept its frozen state after traveling UPS overnight. Often times those trucks get over 120deg in the back during the summer. I order alot of wine to be shipped in but usually avoid it in warmer months due to potential spoilage.
    Glad it worked out for you.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    About half of my crowd was college aged men with big appetites, which would explain the ratio being somewhat skewed. -RP
  • opod
    opod Posts: 41
    thank you-all. i will use the 2.4 rule and round up to the nearest 5 lbs. that should cover me. i'll add a tablespoon of coke to each vaccuum sealed bag and thaw as the party unfolds.
    klk