Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled chicken?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone, I hope ya'll are having a good day. I have read on menus from time to time and heard elsewhere of pulled chicken. Is there such a thing? If I cook a whole chicken does it have enough fat content to withstand internal temps of 190-200*?, or do I need to continue to take it off at 170*? I have cooked them in the past on the vertical roaster, with a rub,at 300-325*, and have taken them off at 170*. The results were ok, but nothing spectacular, as with most everything else cooked on BGE.(thanks to the great responses on the forum). Chicken is the worst thing that I have cooked. I wonder if I put an aluminum foil hat over the chickens it will help? Do I need lower dome temps?I don't like chicken much anyway, but now it has become the challenge.I know that some of ya'll have cooked excellent yardbird before, and I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    rw,
    Before I had an egg, I would cook my birds in a vertical roaster (Beer can) on my old gas grill. I bought an egg and this method did not seem to work as well. I now do all my birds spatchcock style. Check out nakedwhiz.com and follow his methods. This is a very moist dish...

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    rw,
    I pulled a roasting hen last weekend. 300º indirect over a drip pan until the thigh reached 180º. I used a V rack to stabilize the bird, and tented the breast with foil when it started to get too brown. Moist and tender, and yup, the meat pulled right off the bones.
    Ken

• BlueSmoke and wardster, thank ya'll for the advice. I sliced the chickens and put then on aigburt, cooked them for one hour at 350*,just like the naked whiz said on his website. The chicken was ready, but the other fixins weren't, so I wpapped them in aluminum foil and put them back on the egg after shutting him down, and waited 30-40 minutes and got them off. It was the most tender chicken that I have ever eaten. I must work on a rub. All of them that I have tried with salt as the main ingredient have all been disappointing. I am looking forward to trying this method again, with a different rub.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    w,
    You need not look any further. Email Bluesmoke, he can set you up with some high quality rubs...[p]Glad you enjoyed it. Chicken is probaly the best meat to come off the egg, in my opinon. Plus, it's so versitile, the recipes are endless.....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Wardster,
    Thanks for the mention. I didn't mention it before because I didn't want to appear to solicit business, but I used a new rub I'm calling Red Rooster on my bird.
    For me there's no question: while the chicken may have come before the Egg, it wasn't until the Egg that I cared much for chicken. :-)