Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uses For Platesetter?

Tar Heel Smokey Mon
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got the platesetter for Christmas last year and have used it when doing pizza. I've about given up on pizzas. Just can't seem to get the knack of handling the dough. Any other uses for the setter?

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Tar Heel Smokey Mon,
    I use the plate setter and pizza stone when i want the top and bottom of food to cook about the same.Some examples are chicken cordon bleu,casseroles or shrimp stuffed chicken breast.
    Larry

[ul][li]Plate setter & Pizza Stone[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Tar Heel Smokey Mon,
    sorry to hear about your giving up on pizza! Have you tried to find any premade crust? Even some pizzeras will sell them. In my wife's mind pizza is the best food to come off a BGE, and I admit I'm down right proud of my endeavors. Silly question perhaps, but were you using a pizza stone in addition to the plate sitter? and were you getting the stone and sitter thoroughly heated before use?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Tar Heel Smokey Mon,
    Mine is currently inverted under my pot of Red Beans and Rice.
    Now, if I can only find where I put my kiln posts to raise the pot off of the platesetter.[p]You can also support another grid with it and place a drip under it.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Tar Heel Smokey Mon,
    I've got the same thoughts and questions...did you have a pizza stone on top the plate setter and heat them both? Pizza is a bit of a challenge at first, especially the dough. What type of dough are you using? I tried one recipe I used to use when making pizza in the oven but for some reason, it failed in the Egg. Switched to letting the bread machine make the dough and it now comes out fine. I'm no good at tossing it by hand, so I use a rolling pin.
    Don't give up on pizza yet!
    In the meantime, use the plate setter for indirect cooks.