Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Follow up to how is my dinner going to be

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well it turned out good, chicken was moist and juicy, had lots of flavor, and a slight smokey taste but not overpowering, and of course the skin was discarded. Total time was around 3 hours give or take a little.

It leaves me with some questions though. I have been cooking like Fidel suggested 400deg till 190 over direct heat. I have tried a few different ways to cook low and slow chicken. The pan I used somehow plays a role in the cook, it seems when I use it I get the chicken just right except for skin. Direct at 250 didn't seem to turn out the same and indirect with a plate setter @350 was not the same.

I did not have a smoke problem with the pan and grease but I wonder is there a difference between using a metal pan vs. a plate setter. Even with a PS the grease should still hit the foil and smoke or would it? I thought I had tried a PS to do the chicken and it came out dry.

Am I way off base or did I just cook it incorrectly the on last tries?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Platesetter or not your food should not be dry unless you overcooked it. The platesetter adds an extra mass between the food and the coals.

Most all of use a drip pan on the platesetter to catch the grease dripping.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The only difference is that I cook all chicken indirect, and usually on a raised grid. I think getting the skin higher in the dome will get more radiant heat to it and will help with crispiness.

Chicken drippings are going to burn. One thing I have found that works to minimize the smoke and scorching is to use a double drip pan - one inside the other. I put a little water in the bottom one. I think this keeps the upper one cool enough through the cook to minimize the burning.
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    I have plenty of pans around so doubled up won't be a problem, thanks.

I'll try the plate setter and figure out what I've been doing wrong.