Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does Height of Grate Matter?

Lauren
Lauren Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I noticed instructions for raising the height of the grate using stainless steel bolts. Brilliant! Does the height of the grate have any affect on the temperature at the cooking surface? I find it a bit of a challenge to turn burgers and gogs when the grate is resting on the fire ring! Inquiring minds want to know. Appologies if this has been answered a million times before!

Lauren

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    It does help keep from burning on direct cooks and also can create multiple levels. I do most cooks raised except for sears.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Yes it affects the temp. On an established fire, the dome temp vs grid temp can be as much as 50 deg F different. On a low and slow temp this temp difference will lower over time.
  • Lauren
    Grate....errr great!! I am off to the hardware store!

Lauren
  • Lauren
    So the key is being flexible! Trial by fire...errrr trial and error!
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Being flexible helps and many aspects. Cooking is just the one we discuss on this forum. I think you benefit from a raised grid situation, I know I have, for the exact reason you stated.

Here is a link for some great accessories for the EGG. Don't foget to check out BGE also. They are improving on the eggccessories side as well.

http://www.eggaccessories.com/
  • gwopy
    gwopy Posts: 29
    Height of the grate only matters as it determines the distance from the fire. Well, air currents and inconsistent temps of the ceramic might have some effect, but the grill height plays a major role.

Obviously, when your dome temp is 250 degrees, the flame on the surface of the charcoal isn't at 250 degrees.

Heat is just another form of electromagnetic radiation, and it's intensity decreases exponentially as you get away from the source.

You can learn a hella lot about thermodynamics and electromagnetic radiation by watching the way that things cook on the BGE.