Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a little help---

Options
Kona Tim
Kona Tim Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi you all---Think I may need some advice here---Last night I grilled spare ribs----they turned out really great, except for a predominant smoky flavor. My son remarked that it tasted just like the chicken we had the other night!! They were done perfection, and JJ's bbq sauce was a great addition. The lump I used was mesquite. (they call it kiawe over here) I know it is a pungent wood and may well be the culprit---whatcha think?
Thanks,[p]Tim

Comments

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    kona tim,[p]I have not cooked with mequite lump. But, i suspect it is your "problem". Try plain old hardwood lump, and throw on a few chips or chunks of wood to "flavor" it. If you do that, the amount of flavor depends on how much wood you threw on. A little can go a long way. Try a fruit wood. I love apple and hickory chips at the beginning of the cook. Pecan is nice as well. Experiment with plain lump and wood chips and chunks for taste.

• Teslamania, yep,, and try not to put your meat in during the initial phase where the smoke is "green". There's lots of carbon in that smoke. I let the heat build to the point where the coals are heated enough to help consume the fuel more effeciently. For lack of a better term I call it "an experienced fire. Get it?,, "bad smoke,, bad" - "good smoke,, good, real good". Oh well,, I know exactly what I'm talking about.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    kona tim,[p]Good advice has been given here. Lump charcoal is made from hardwood that is also commonly used for smoke flavoring. A very high percentage of the compounds that produce a flavor are removed during the conversion of wood to lump charcoal, but some do still remain and tend to slightly flavor the cook. Mesquite seems to add more flavor than most.[p]You can cook without adding a wood for smoke or you can try lightly smoking with a sweet flavored wood (like apple) to help cut the bite of the mesquite. As you seem to be sensitive to smoke flavoring (many people are), the best advice I can give is to try to locate some lump made from oak. It is very mellow.[p]Spin[p][p]

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    kona tim,
    Give a shout if you need some shipped from the mainland, I can likely help you out.[p]Bama Fire

• Kona Tim
    Options
    Bama Fire,---Thought I was in trouble there for a minute--but I called a Q place over in Hilo and they have the BGE lump right there in stock--so I ordered a couple of bags and they will show up today. To check it out, I have some chicken thighs soaking in Bernstein's Italian dressing. That should givbe me a pretty good read. Thanks for the offer, Gerry and thanks to the rest of you with your grteat advise.[p]Tim

• Bama Fire
    Options
    kona tim,
    Just stay in touch if you need something from over here -- I'll see what I can do.[p]Off topic: Are you a coffee drinker? If so, what local brand would you recommend?[p]Thanks -- good luck with your BGE lump![p]Bama Fire

• Kona Tim
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Thanks---will let you know. About the coffee----I have a customer over here that grows and roasts his own coffee--best I ever had. If any interest, let me know---
    See ya,[p]Tim

• Bama Fire
    Options
    kona tim,
    How much? Where do I mail the check?[p]Thanks![p]B~F

• Kona Tim
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Gerry---I buy it for $16 a pound and sell it for the same---just passing it on. Do you still have my card? If not, my address is Tim O'Dell, 74-5602 Alapa St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740.
    Since this IS a forum on the EGG, I had better make this official and ask you a question---did a pork loin last night--one of those pre-soaked ones from Costco, Hormel, i think. Came out alright, but could have been more moist in my opinion and still had some of the smokey flavor whick may have been a result of my previous cooks with straight mesquite lump---(did wings marineated in italian dressing and had great volumes of smoke on that one!) How do you do yours and how do they come out? Thanks,[p]Tim

• Bama Fire
    Options
    Kona Tim,
    I've done pork tender loins in a variety of ways. I've tried them with a mustard slather with JJ's rub (ok), olive oil, worchester, garlic, onion, salt and pepper (better), and the best was from a recipe I got off the forum: bourbon, soy (equal parts -- 1/3 of a cup? I think) and several tbs of brown sugar. I'll let these sit in the frig. overnight and then smoke at 325 to 350 for around 45 minutes. Once they reach med-rare, get ready to pull them as the time to well isn't very long. I've found that it is quite easy to overcook them.[p]The bourbon marinaded loins are great with this sauce: 1/3 cup mayo, 1/3 cup sour cream, 1.5 tsp of powered yellow mustard, and 3 green onions. If you let it sit overnight, you'll swear that there is horseradish in there. A wonderful condiment.[p]Good luck![p]B~F[p]Oh, how much will shipping run me?

• Bama Fire
    Options
    Kona Tim,
    Here's a thought on the smokey flavor -- have you cleaned out the old lump? You may still have several pieces in there that are giving off the strong smoke. Also, the cooler your meat is when it hits the egg, the more smoke it will absorb. Let the meat heat up to room temp before throwing it on to reduce the smokey flavor. Also, you could cook at a slightly higher temp to reduce the amount of time the meat spends soaking up smoke in the early stages of the cook.[p]I've been reading these "Brining" posts but have yet to personally try it. I think it's about time for me to step up to the plate. I'll let you know, once it give it a smoke.[p]BF

• Kona Tim
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Thanks! The condiment sounds great

[p]Tim
    By the way,
    Four bucks.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Kona Tim,
    Bryan posted this,i have cooked it two times,its great.
    YB

[ul][li]Burbon Pork Tenderloin[/ul]