Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how is my dinner going to be?

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying leg quarters low and slow, on an adjustable rig I am running 240 deg. been cooking for an hour and a half, I am aiming for 180deg. Coated with DP shakin the tree and pepper, I have a small metal pan so it is indirect. A is this going to be good or B I amI cooking a frozen pizza: You decide :silly:

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I am pretty sure that it will be eatible ;) I normally go direct at 250-300,but I am always learning.Please let us know how they turn out :whistle: I just hope that the skin doesn't taste rubbery :sick: Good luck man :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'm going with pretty good, but IMP dark meat turns out better cooked in the 400* range until 190* or so.

It will still be good.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Get your temp up ASAP or plan on rubbering skin.
    350-500. A metal pan is not indirect.
    These were cooked 350 direct.
    They finished indirect with dinner rolls.
    I don't like the skin eggcept on wings so doesn't matter.

bb7.jpg

Mike
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    you can render the fat at low temp and have good meat but crispy skin is not going to happen below 350° and if there is fat in the metal pan it is going to smoke or flare up... get your gloves take out the pan, watch for flare ups and flash back and crank it up... since they have been on so long you might remove them [and the grease pan] go up to 500+ and get crispy
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    I have tried low and slow and I still don't quite get
    it, but I try, and today I figured the skin is negotiable if I can get the meat right and FLAVORFUL. I am still trying to learn and don't want to ask too many times but I do want some good eats. It my be too far into it to change but the next eggsperiment I will heed the advise