Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

most useful size egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to buy an egg later this month and would like some advise about which size would fit my needs best. I am considering a small or medium,but noted there is quite a price difference. Most of my cooking will be for two people,small roasts,chicken,etc.So if any owners have any advice I would appreciate it.thanks,Ray Pierce

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Ray Pierce,[p]Given the criteria and requirements that you've posted the small will do you just fine.[p]Puj
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Ray Pierce,
    I only cook for one but faced the same problem as you about the price jump between the small and the medium. I was going to get the medium but the difference in price from med. to large at that time was about $75 so I got the large. In short , if you decide to go medium, I would go large if you can afford the difference, if you go with the small, just enjoy it, you will probably want something larger in the future. Many of us have several eggs.
    Good Luck,
    New Bob

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Ray Pierce, buy the small. It will be useful later when you decide to buy a large. :-)

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    Ray Pierce,
    If you can afford it, go for the large. After you eat any thing cooked on the "egg" you will want to cook everything on it. Think BIG...nde

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Ray Pierce,
    Listen to what they're saying in the posts below!
    Go for the large if your budget can stand it. To paraphrase the old Fram filter ads, "you can buy it now or you can buy it later."

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Ray Pierce,
    Get the largest egg you can afford. You say most of your cooking will be for two, but what about the rest? Will you ever cook for friends? Will you want to cook a large turkey for T-giving or Xmas? Would you ever want to cook a 16" pizza? (You need a large to do that.) [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WudEyeDoo
    Options
    Ray Pierce,
    Even though you think you don't need a large right now, you will soon see many advantages to the extra cooking space, eggcessories and flexibility you have with a large. I like to cook more than we need so I can freeze the leftovers for a great, easy dinner later in the week. We have a Foodsaver which really helps in that regard.[p]If you have decided that it has to be a small or medium, then I think Wise One has shown his wisdom once again by suggesting the small. The small is a great compliment to the large, in case you get the "BGE Bug" like the rest of us and wind up getting a second egg someday.[p]You really can't go wrong in any case so take the plunge and buy your egg soon. Then come back here and learn from the people on this forum. They are a tremendous resource![p]Bob

• Ray Pierce,
    I started with a large and about a year later got a small for traveling. Just my wife and I and we could get by with the small, but for entertaining, the large is a must. When I'm doing a butt , it seems like a waste not to go ahead and put a couple on. But tonight, it was just us, and I did a couple of T-Bones on the small. Could have just as well done them on the large, but...I would definitely recommend you go with either the small or large. Sooner or later you'll be getting the other one. I think it is sound advise to buy as large as one are your pocketbook will allow. But at the same time, consider that the accessories can add up pretty quick. This is a life time investment. You may not live the the same house the rest of your life, but you'll always have the egg. Kind of like getting married, I suppose...Ultimately, if you've never had one, you'll be happy with hour new purchase, large or small.

• rose
    rose Posts: 37
    Options
    Ray Pierce,
    We bought one at the eggfest in atlanta a few weeks ago. we went around the eggfest asking the same question, and it was the same answer from everone buy the large. You will get the small later. There are also just 2 of us and I'm happy to say we bought the large. now we need the extras to go with it. [p]

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Ray Pierce,
    I agree with everyone else. If you buy the small, yes it will be large enough for cooking for two. But....once your friends and family find out how good the food is, you will be feeding more. You won't regret the extra room, unless all you cook is hotdogs. We have a family of 5, and I have a small and large. I find myself cooking on both equally. Go ahead and buy the large now and ask Santa for the small.[p]~nikki

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Ray Pierce,
    Like many of the folks below, I started large and later bought a small. Low and slow is more difficult on the small, but you can do it. Things with a large "footprint" (large pizzas, lots of wings, whole briskets, multiple butts, etc.) are out of the question. IMHO it's better to have more space than you need, rather than need more space than you have.
    I like the suggestion below "buy the large and ask santa for the small."