Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook

newegg
newegg Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting a large soon. I am anxious to try cooking on it. What would be a good (for a novice egger) to try. I have been reading this forum and trying to understand all of the cooking techniques. I am having trouble understanding cooking with differnt levels. If I am making a pizza, what are they meaning when the say different levels unsing tin foil, BGE feet, etc. Any advise or help will be appreciated. Also what type of gloves do you need?

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Check out some of the recipes and get yourself a small, pork butt (3-4#). Did you purchase a 'plate setter'? It's a great aid for doing an indirect cook over a drip pan. If you're interested and need help, just fire off some questions!
  • Hey welcome to the BGE family i know you said you will be getting yours soon and i will be getting my second one soon :woohoo: there is a lot to learn using a BGE also i would advise trying a pizza as a 1st cook do something simple like a spatchcock chicken to answer a few of you questions different levels of cooking would indicated the hight from which you are cooking from the coals the BGE feet are the three little green ceramic items that come with the BGE that it sits on to provide clearance from the ground and in order to do pizza on the BGE you would need a pizza stone and a platesetter to acheive this cook my advice to you would be take your time learn all that you can and have fun learning and trying new things on your BGE
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    For mitts, I would recommend an elbow-length style made for the fire place or oven. Also, for your own safety, be sure to learn how to avoid the spectacular, but unfortunately infernal phenonomen known as "flashback"!!
  • How does that song go? "The Waiting is the Hardest Part"!
    You'll REALLY enjoy it when you get it, I know I did when I got mine! Don't forget to get the Plate setter and Pizza stone.
  • Am sure you will enjoy the egg.

Something really easy and Fantastic are chicken thighs...Think there are numerous ways to cook them (direct or indirect). Ask a question on this forum and I am sure you will get a bunch of answers.

On your first cook (my opinion), you can play around with the temp control, which is what takes a short time to figure out. Chicken thighs and/or legs are very forgiving if the temp isn't perfect..

I marinade mine in OJ, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cilantro, black pepper, ancho chili powder, kosher salt and a shot or two of tequila.. I then put a drip pan (I use a pizza pan wrapped in foil) on an inverted plate setter and cook at 275 for about 1.5-2hrs..fall off the bones.. You can also put some BBQ sauce on at the end if you like that..or baste it...or whatever..

Relax/Enjoy..

20070826%20BBQ%20Chicken.jpg
  • Thanks. I am getting pizza stone and placesetter. I am also getting the large table. I am waiting for the table to come in at the dealers to pick everything up. I can't wait to try my first cook. I think I will try chicken. Thanks for all of the advise.
  • Who are you using for a dealer...Florida Bath and Surfaces???
  • I am using a local place called The Backyard Place.