Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to pull butts off of egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking two butts (9lb and 5lb) on XL egg at 240 degrees since 9:30 this morning. Internaltemp on small is at 195. Large is at 190. How long once they reach 195 degrees should I leave them on the egg. Should I bring the temp down on the egg or take off and foil once they reach 195. Are they suppose to cook that quick? Maybe need to check my dome gauge.

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    You're almost there. When they reach your target temp. (say 195° - 200°). Pull them off and wrap them in HD aluminum foil. Then in big towels. Then into a small cooler for maybe and hour (up to maybe 4 hours). Then take them out and pull them appart. Ya'll gonna eat goooooood!

P.S. Don't worry about the two different sizes cooking at almost the same time. Cook by temperature, not time. Butts are individualists.

P.P.S Never a bad idea to calibrate your thermometer...does seem fast, but butts are forgiving.
  • Egglicious
    Options
    You should pull them at around 190 to 195 internal. Then wrap in foil and a large towel and place in a cooler for at least one hour before pulling apart. Does seem they have cooked a bit fast, mine will usually take about 15 to 17 hrs depending on the size. You might want to check your Egg therm and the therm you are using to probe the meat with.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I tend to go more with DaynaGreaseball's recomendations.

Pull the 195° butt at any time and wait for the other to reach it's temp.

I try to pull at the 195° - 200°, but it doesn't bother me if the meat is at 205° or so.

Once you get upwards of 195° take a fork and put it in and twist it. You will clearly know when it is done.

I can tell by the resistance or lack of resistance when I check temp with the thermopen. For me if it feels like the thermopen probe is going into butter, the meat is done.

The fork test works great and is the best method.

With beef I take a hunk of meat and smoke it to 160° to 180°. Then wrap it in parchment paper of foil and let it get to 225° and let it cook there for about an hour.

You will end up with a 'spoon roast'. You can cut it with a spoon ~ the meat will melt in your mouth.

GG