Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Steak Perfection on the BGE

CampCookCampCook Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Back BEA(before egg acquisition) I used to sort of randomly cook steaks over whatever fire source I had. Some great and some not so great results. Then AEA (after egg acquisition) I learned about the TREX method --sear then slow cook to final temp -- and my results became excellent and consistent. Then several years AEA I read in Cooks Illustrated that the reverse method -- slow cook then sear -- got better results. Then, I learned some here on the forum referred to this as XERT method. I got good at it and my results were even better.

Then I read about a new restaurant in town that slow cooks in butter to start and finishes with a sear. I'm not sure if this is an original thought on the BGE Forum but it is new to me and the results are fantastic. Here is my approach.

1) start with a medium fire in the egg - say 300 to 350 degrees. Place a cast iron skillet on the grid and melt a big glob of butter
2) insert a meat temp monitor probe midway in the middle of one of the steaks being cooked and add all steaks to the skillet
3) Monitor the temperature of the steak and let it rise to about 110 degrees internal. I flip the steak once as it warms.
4) when the temp hits 110 degrees remove the steaks from the skillet. Remove the skillet and return the steaks to the grid. At the same time, open the draft full bore. Sear the steaks, flipping as desired until the internal temp reaches desired temp. I pull mine at 125 degrees.
5) let the steaks rest 5 to 10 minutes or so before serving. This is a perfect amount of time to arrange an attractive plate.

The results I have had with thick ribeyes, filets and, even a rack of lamb have been outstanding. A side benefit is the drippings in the cast iron skillet make for an excellent sauce. Just combine with a bit of cognac and wine and reduce.

I promise some pictures on the next effort.

Dave

Comments