Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's te quick brisket method? (ping drbbq)

Options
RJH
RJH Posts: 129
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A while back I saw a post about cooking briskets much quicker, but I don't remember the details. I would normally never deviate from the tried and true method, but due to carelessness on my part I'm in a crunch. I have a 10lb packer that I need done for this evening. It's going now, but I need to speed it up. In DrBBQ's book he has the Shortcut Brisket method, but the used a 5 to 6 lb flat. Maybe he can chime in as to whether or not it will work for a packer about twice that size. If anyone remember that other post and can remind me of the details I'll appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    slide on down the page and check my response to fast butt. I've heard talk of folks using same for brisket. I'd throw lots of smoke to add flavor and maybe help with bark and foil before plateau stage....how much faster depends on bark production.

T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    Here is a copy of a post I put up in response to this same question .Hope it helps.

"In Reply to: Re:Beef Brisket Help posted by Iowa State Egger on 2008/08/31 19:31:29

There is absolutely no reason to cook a brisket for eight to eighteen hours! Here is a link to a long discussion about "The Myron Mixon Method'. http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/archives/599225/messages/598216.html

Having watched Myron prepare a brisket and cook it, I would add the following to the method presented:

(1) Inject the brisket with an apple juice, sugar, salt and spice mixture the night before cooking. After injecting, coat it with your rub of choice. Alternately use Butcher's beef injection mixed with apple juice (not cider).

The next day, follow the ideas as presented. If you have ever tasted Myron's brisket made with choice beef you will understand what great brisket should taste like. After you taste his wagyu brisket, you will know that God intended for us to enjoy meat.

The basic idea is that you smoke it and then you braise it. Braising has long been accepted as the best cooking method to make a tough cut of meat tender. Cooking on an egg does not change the rules."

Wayne
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    That's what I needed. Thanks Tom. I can't do the injection part now since it's already going, but the rest should work. Like with all my cooks, your adjustable rig is in play for this one too. I'll post the results.

Thanks
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    Here's another quick method posted recently:

http://www.bbqcamper.com/Beef-Brisket.php
  • Michael B
    Options
    If you want fast, put it in a pressure cooker with some thinned out BBQ sauce and a little liquid smoke. Should be fall apart tender in about 90 minutes.