Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Perfection on the BGE

Options
CampCook
CampCook Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Back BEA(before egg acquisition) I used to sort of randomly cook steaks over whatever fire source I had. Some great and some not so great results. Then AEA (after egg acquisition) I learned about the TREX method --sear then slow cook to final temp -- and my results became excellent and consistent. Then several years AEA I read in Cooks Illustrated that the reverse method -- slow cook then sear -- got better results. Then, I learned some here on the forum referred to this as XERT method. I got good at it and my results were even better.

Then I read about a new restaurant in town that slow cooks in butter to start and finishes with a sear. I'm not sure if this is an original thought on the BGE Forum but it is new to me and the results are fantastic. Here is my approach.

1) start with a medium fire in the egg - say 300 to 350 degrees. Place a cast iron skillet on the grid and melt a big glob of butter
2) insert a meat temp monitor probe midway in the middle of one of the steaks being cooked and add all steaks to the skillet
3) Monitor the temperature of the steak and let it rise to about 110 degrees internal. I flip the steak once as it warms.
4) when the temp hits 110 degrees remove the steaks from the skillet. Remove the skillet and return the steaks to the grid. At the same time, open the draft full bore. Sear the steaks, flipping as desired until the internal temp reaches desired temp. I pull mine at 125 degrees.
5) let the steaks rest 5 to 10 minutes or so before serving. This is a perfect amount of time to arrange an attractive plate.

The results I have had with thick ribeyes, filets and, even a rack of lamb have been outstanding. A side benefit is the drippings in the cast iron skillet make for an excellent sauce. Just combine with a bit of cognac and wine and reduce.

I promise some pictures on the next effort.

Dave

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Sounds interesting...

What's a big glob of butter? Are you talking about 1 T or 1/4th stick...?

How do you prep the steaks before adding to the skillet? Or do you use an herb-infused butter...?

~ Broc
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    as Homer says, "butter your bacon Bart" :lol:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    From time to time I do a reverse sear TRex steak. xeRT? :laugh:

Never used a cast iron pan but I should give it a try and I like the idea of makin a sauce (side benefit) with the drippings and crusty bits left in the pan.
    Thanks for sharing, and YES I wanna see pictures AEA. :huh:
  • emilluca
    Options
    Sounds good you might have gotten the same flavor by a brown butter over the steak after the trex.
    The oeher sounds like a lot of steps. Brown butter in a CI skillet with mushrooms of choice.
  • obstructionist
    Options
    Heston Blumenthal, who runs a famous restaurant in England, had a TV series where he tried to invent the perfect way to prepare a number of favourite meals.

In the steak episode, what he came up with looks a lot like the reverse-Trex method. He cooks the meat for 24 hours at low temp, then a quick sear in a cast-iron pan.

The recipe is here. No, I have not tried it. :)

It's a great show. I remember watching the pizza episode, where he tries to get a bbq up to 500C, and I thought "he really needs a BGE here".
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I like the skillet blackening method with ever so often a smidge of butter on top while the steak rests before serving. Butter depends on how the steaks look. The cognac peppercorn sauce is a good one and simple to make. Just need to be careful with salt if you heavily salt your steaks, per TRex. It can overpower the sauce.

blackened ribeyes, no butter or sauce.

blackeningsteaks4xl.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • CampCook
    Options
    I used about 1/2 stick - maybe a bit more. No prep on the steaks except to let them come to room temperature before starting. Herbed butter is next step. I'm a sort of one change at a time guy.
  • CampCook
    Options
    I think the slow butter cook gives entirely different flavor -- less intense then the browned butter approach. Also I am having better luck at getting various doneness steaks done at exactly the same time with the rext method. The process looks more complicated than it is just because of my engineering writing style. Sorry about that.....