Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joining the "new gasket" club?

Stanley
Stanley Posts: 623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yes, I've been the one sympathizing with all those with gasket woes while proudly contributing that I've had nary a problem with my original felt gasket. Well, they say pride is a sin and maybe I'm soon to pay the price for it. Noticed, during my spatchcock cook yesterday, small wisps of smoke from the left side of my dome. This is where the seam in my bottom gasket is located, a seam which early on opened partially to a "V". I'm leaning toward doing nothing about this until it gets much worse, inspired by all here who live with ugly gaskets or no gasket at all. When the time comes, I'm leaning toward going Nomex, though I've heard concerns about the adhesive issues. Does the Nomex come with the adhesive backing already in place? Seems like it might be preferable to have a naked one so I could choose my own adhesive.

Comments

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Stanley, my gasket is in pretty bad shape so ordered a new nomex, I haven't replaced it yet, but the answer to your question is yes- the adhesive is already in place. You peel a paper backing off and it is self sticking. Mike
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Right now yes...

Folks are saying use 3M 77 and IF the adhesive strip fails, which some have, pull the adhesive off and re-spray. So far from the reports that second application with nomex seems to be holding well.

GG