Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multi-level grates for ribs?

Options
orion11
orion11 Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen a couple pics from folks who use a two layer set up for ribs. I havent tried that yet but am wondering how this works? Do you have to rotate top to bottom once in awhile for even cooking? If anyone has pics of their setups while doing this, I would appreciate seeing them. I always am running short of cooking space when doing 3 racks, later in the cook when I take the rib rack out and lay them flat. TIA

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Unfortunately, I was too busy the day I did eight (8) slabs of spares on my adjustable rig (available from Egg Accessories) to take pics, but answer is no, you don't have to rotate top to bottom and vice-versa. You'll have plenty of space to lay your ribs flat with the two 18" grates and an oval grid.
  • I do up to 10 racks of ribs at a time in my large Egg on my contraption in two layers and I never have to move them at all and both levels will get done at about the same time.

contspl1Mvc-006e.jpg

Here I am setting up my cook in the kitchen for 6 slabs of ribs. I just place the top grid back on top of the lower grid and then carry the whole setup with the meat outside and place it on the cooker when the cooker is on temp.

4ribsbge1Mvc-010e.jpg

Ribs about done on the cooker. You may have to look close to see the lower level but they are there. This setup has been in use for over 9 years and still going strong.

Dipstick
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I use the adjustable rig available from eggcessories.com. I have the sliders and oval grids so I can move the grids in & out to spritz or otherwise. It's a good setup. I could add a 3rd grid, but haven't so far.

100_0968.jpg
  • That looks like a good set-up. Are you cooking direct or indirect? What temp? Many thanks....Pop
  • orion11
    Options
    Thanks for the help all, great pics too. Think I will browse the accessory site you listed. Thanks again!
  • orion11
    Options
    Went to the site and it looks like the set-up I want is not available til about Sept. 7th? Have to check back with them as that looks really slick. Thanks
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    They're too popular. I'm always going to do them that way but I end up using the rack instead.

Dsc01152ribs-vi.jpg
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    That's only a week, not too bad, and they are definitely worth the wait. I keep finding new ways to use my AR that I didn't even consider when I bought it.