Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock: Approaching crispy skin

Options
Stanley
Stanley Posts: 623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to those who responded yesterday re: my quest for crispy skin. I got much closer this time. I dried the spatched bird as much as I could with paper towels, then let it further dry in the fridge for 20 hrs. Seasoned the underside only with Tsunami Spin - nothing on the skin side - then on a high, direct grid, skin side down, at 400° for 15 min.:
100_1037.jpg

Flipped after 15 min. and then seasoned the skin side with TS. As I suspected, the skin (which would have been too dry to hold seasoning before it went on the grid) now had a glisten of chicken fat to hold the seasoning:
100_1038.jpg

Cooked @ 400° until breast registered 165° - about 55 min.:
100_1039.jpg

Threw on some corn while the bird rested:
100_1041.jpg

The meat was fantastic again - beyond belief. The skin was thin and almost crispy - no sign of the dreaded rubberiness. So I'm not 100% sure whether my relative success was from the drying technique, from the 15 min. skin side down, or from not oiling the skin (the three differences between this cook and my last). Think next time I might try 25 min. on the skin side.

Comments

• SoDakEgger
    SoDakEgger Posts: 122
    Options
    I have also had some luck cooking at around 350. it takes longer- which can usually give you time to mow and trim the lawn or do some other things.

Cooking lower and slower, so to speak, is a method I read about in an old Gourmet Magazine article by the late Laurie Colwin. This was back before Ruth Reichl and her gang managed to all but ruin Gourmet- but that's a story for another day.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I got a free subscription to Gourmet several months ago and it is amazing to me of how little use this magazine is to me.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    That is one pretty bird and I love Tsunami Spin. I'll give it a whirl and likely go 25-30 minutes skin down as you were thinking. Thanks for sharing.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    High in the dome, raised grid indirect at 450 works for me.
    Here is crispy duck, chicken will work the same. ;)
    BGEDuckFeb06003.jpg
    Have fun this holiday!