Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili on the Egg!!!

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
chilingr.jpg
<p />Seems all we chat about are briskets, pulled pork, backbone removed and flattened chicken, ABTs, ribs, etc. With the cold weather coming upon us (snow is predicted here in Cleveland later this week), tis the season for some comfort food. [p]Treat yourself to chili on the Egg. It's similiar to Salmon in that no matter what you do with it, it will always come out perfect. Even a can of that God awful Hormel will taste better if you heat it up low and slow on the Egg with maybe some apple and/or tabasco chips for firespice.[p]At the wife's request, I'll be doing a low fat batch for dinner tonight - super lean ground beef and sun-dried tomato chicken sausage. Even light beer if I can resist drinking it before the cook.[p]Other than that, just some red and black beans, sweet and spanish onion, garlic, seasoned diced tomatos, cumin, cinnamon, balsamic vinegar and several varieties of those wonderful Mexican dried chilis from old friend DTM in Montana.[p]With ingredients like these, how can you go wrong. It's fun to make and a very satisfying long cook (Waldorf attendees watched me spend an entire day brewing up a few gallons). I'd like to think it was worth the wait smoking at 250* and shooting for a 190* serving temp. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.[p]Please no harassment from you Texas folks. I know you see beans in the picture.[p]chileside.gif
[ul][li]Ms. Gizmo doesn't share my enthusiasm...[/ul]

Comments

• KennyG,[p]Looks great. We do something similar but use stew meat or some similar "shreddable" meat instead of burger. Awesome.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    KennyG,[p]That picture is inspiring me. I have not done chili on the cookers and I am feeling the need. I might have to go buy a pot to do it in because my wife will never allow me to use hers. The stuff I tried of yours in Maryland was good even though it wasn't finished when I tried it. I would be interested in the recipe or just point me at it if you have it posted somewhere. I don't have any of those chili's, but i bet I can find something at the local market. I'll pass on the weenie Mexican beer though..... what happened to you and PBR (I'll pass on that one too).[p]Good Eats to you!![p]Tim M
    flames1.gif

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    KennyG,
    Here is a picture of you in Waldorf cooking you chili.
    Larry

[ul][li]KennyG and his Marathon Chili[/ul]
  • YB
    Here is a close up of KennyG's chili.

[ul][li]KennyG and his chili[/ul]
  • KennyG
    YB,[p]I don't remember either of these pics being taken. The drugs must have had time to take effect hehehe[p]K~G

• YB
    KennyG,
    You had already been cooking for about 12 hours and had 12 beers when Kaye took these pictures.hehehe

• KennyG,
    What do you cook the chili in? What temp. What measurments for the ingredients. The pics made me hungry.

• KennyG
    chilipot.jpg
    <p />cward,[p]For smaller single and double batches, I use deep CorningWare casserole dishes like the 2 qt. and 1 gallon in the pic. Wrapping the bottom and sides with foil makes cleanup easy. The other piece is a Hasty-Bake "basting pan" that holds 2 gallons for the bigger cooks.[p]Plenty of great chili recipes are available here on this forum and all over the net. Here is my basic recipe to get you started:[p]Per batch - 6 light or 2-3 hearty servings. This batch recipe easily doubles, triples and quadruples.[p]3 strips of thick bacon
    1 TBS. olive oil
    1 lb. of your favorite meat. course ground beef, sausage, whatever, and any combination.
    1 28 oz. can seasoned diced tomatos
    2 14 oz. cans chili beans, 1 each of red and black in hot or mild. whatever you like.
    1 medium sweet onion chopped
    1 small spanish onion chopped
    2 cloves garlic run through a garlic press
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 TBS. your favorite BBQ rub
    1 or more dried chilis, I use Anchos for flavor and japones for heat.
    1+ tsp. your favorite hot sauce
    1 bottle dark beer, drink half and use the rest in the recipe
    salt and pepper to taste
    optionally, thinly sliced green onion, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream for serving garnish.[p]Fire up your Egg for a stable 250-275*
    soak half a handful each of apple and mesquite chips in water. Or, whatever chips you like.[p]Open all the cans and dump the beans and tomatos into the correct sized chili pot.[p]In a non-stick skillet, fry the bacon extra crisp and set aside. Now use the drippings to brown 1/2 of the meat, 1/2 of the onions and all of the garlic. Season with salt and pepper during the browning. Remove when all red is gone from the meat and add this to the chili pot. Crumble the bacon and add as well.[p]Add olive oil to the skillet and brown the remaining meat and onions. Take it a step further this time and let the mix begin to burn a bit. (for texture)[p]Add this and all remaining ingredients except garnish items to chili pot and stir well. Float your dried peppers in the pot and let them do their magic during the long cook.[p]Smoke on the Egg uncovered for about 2 hours (single batch) and shoot for a finish temp of 190* Add roughly 30 minutes cooking time for each additional batch. Stir again every 20-30 minutes and sample to see if additional seasoning is required.[p]Enjoy,[p]K~G [p]

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    KennyG,
    Yo K~G 22° and spitting snow so a bowl of that chili would be perfect for dinner tonight. Send a bowl up would’ya? Hope the chilies work out. You must not have seen my duel response to you and R & J down the page on the pumpkin recipe. I would maybe pay up to 2000 old pesos to get a copy. Went down south at the first of this month but it was all biz so I only came back with one plastic grocery sack of chilies. Next fun trip WAY south will be first part of Jan and I will continue my search for chili chihuacle humo. More details later. Just so this is not all yap I’ll stick on my chili recipe. Regards DTM[p]DTM'S ESOTERIC CHILI
    7 lbs very coarsely ground venison
    8 T Pure ancho chili powder
    6 cloves minced garlic
    3 T oregano
    3 T cumino
    1 T cayenne
    2 T coco
    2 T sugar
    3 T salt
    3 g onions
    1 qt tomatoes
    4 beef bullion cubes dissolved in 1 qt hot water
    2 bottles dark beer
    1 sm bag black beans
    1 sm bag pinto beans
    Vegetable oil[p]Rinse beans and put in separate pans. Cover with water by one inch. Add 1 T vegetable oil. Add 1/2 of one of the chopped onions and two cloves minced garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until fairly soft but not mushy. You may add some salt at this time.
    While beans are cooking brown meat in a little oil in batches. Brown very well and add quite a bit of salt while browning. This step is critical and reduces any gaminess. Add onion and minced garlic toward the end of the browning process. When all of the meat is brown return all of the batches to a very large pot. I use the bottom of a large pressure cooker. Continue to cook on medium. Add the beef broth.
    Mix all of the spices together in a med bowl. Add the spices to the meat in slowly stirring after each addition. Add the tomatoes and 1 bottle of beer. Simmer slowly for a long time, maybe 3 or 4 hours. Drain the mostly cooked beans and add to the meat. Add the second bottle of beer and simmer for another hour or so. Add more beef broth if needed.
    Cure the chili in the frig for 2 or 3 days the flavor will improve.
    Heat up slowly and serve. Freeze the rest in freezer ziplocs in amounts appropriate for your serving needs.[p]

[ul][li]chili vendadora[/ul]
  • KennyG
    DTM,[p]So sorry I missed your request for the pumpkin recipe. It's coming at you as I type.[p]Love them chilis!![p]Ken

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    DTM,
    Check your Email. I was scolded for not sending you a copy.
    I made a nice batch of Pozole Stew last week with your chilies. It came out better than I have ever made it.[p]Nice to see you around,
    RhumAndJerk

• YB
    KennyG,
    Here is a picture of Mr.Toad and TimM talking about your chili behind your back.hehehe

[ul][li]Mr.Toad and TimM[/ul]
  • KennyG
    YB,[p]See, I get no respect, no respect at all.[p]K~G

• KennyG,
    Thanks so much for the recipe. Cant wait to try it out.

• KennyG
    Tim M,[p]Yo Tim, sorry about the lengthy delay. See my response to cward with more particulars about cooking vessels and a basic recipe. Yup, that is some wimpy beer but I have to please the wife. When I eliminated PBR from the diet, I also eliminated about 10 lbs. excess weight from hanging over the belt buckle.[p]I got a ton of those fine Mexican dried chilis. If you want to try some, just give me a hollar.[p]Ken

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S12_05_9911_23_02.jpg
    <p />KennyG, you sure have the right idea. The picture is from the past, but I made another big batch last weekend.
    02_18_0013_54_04.jpg

[ul][li]Black Bean Chili[/ul]
  • Tim M
    KennyG,
    Thank you for the offer. I will look around and see what I can find here. I have a resturant up the block that is called Chilli Peppers. I made the mistake of ordering wings there a few years ago and the giuy asked, "How hot do ya want em?" I said, thinking I was 20 again, "As hot as you got". "OK", he said and I went up and brought them home to eat. He said, "Call me and let me know if they is hot enough fur ya". They have two micro breweries here on the outer banks. The Weeping Radish has a FINE DARK beer - yuuummmyyy. I sat down with a couple and started in on those wings. After #4 I was under the faucet putting water on my mouth. After #5 I was done and then remembered he wanted me to call, but I was unable to make the letters B,F,P,U,W so I called the next day. He said, "Yea, I remember you, where they hot enough fur ya?" I said they were OK - and left it at that. Dang things should have been registered as a lethal weapon. It was those darn Habinaro peppers!![p]You let me know when you are anywhere near here - I will put you up and we can go have some!![p]Tim

• Tim M
    YB,[p]You devil -- Looks like I am about ready to sneek-a-peek in that Egg to see what's cookin! Kenny wasn't even lookin.[p]Tim
  • KennyG
    chilifin.jpg
    <p />Gfw,[p]It is a beautiful site when finished. I like your idea about the way you slice the beef up and will use that technique on the next batch. IMHO, texture is as important as taste in a good bowl o'red. I wish I had selected more potent dried peppers. This batch was only 2 or 3 alarm.[p]The wife loved it, but was not happy about the way I "trashed" her CorningWare dish. Thank goodness for brillo pads. Got to get me one of those cast iron crock pots.[p]K~G

• YB
    KennyG,
    Did it just finish cooking...
    Larry

• KennyG
    YB,[p]Naw, I think it still needs a couple more hours hehehe[p]Ken

• KennyG,
    Hey Kenny
    The picture alone makes me hungry, it's that time of year again. I can still taste yours from Eggfest. I love chili but not out of the can. Hope to see you in the Spring.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    KennyG, that looks outstanding! The meat slicing and the original recipe that I used originally came from ChefRD, along with hi shot wings. Gotta love that egg!