Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fireboxes

CR
CR Posts: 175
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After many posts on he subject of cracked fireboxes, has anyone spotted a common denominator? I have had my Large BGE for about 6 months now and have not noticed any cracks. Are cracks the general rule or they rather rare? [p]For those of you who have seen cracks, do they show-up right away or is it not related to time? Maybe the Egg needs to be "Seasoned" a few times at lower temps(250-350)a few times before using higher temps?
Could it be relate to moving the egg around or, is it just flaws in the ceramic materal itself?[p]It seems like we should be able to figure this out.[p]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    CR,[p]There is no common denominator. If there was the Bge company would put an end to it or tell you how to prevent it - so would the other manufacturers. It is a matter of expansion of the ceramic materials and many fireboxes do crack and many don't. I really do not know why so many get all wound up out of shape of it -- think of it like the expansion cracks in concrete. They don't hurt anything and it doesn't prevent the firebox from being used. Yes, I wish all mine weren't cracked and I know some are working on prevention of it, but it's not the end of the world - or even close. More heat = more expansion and avoiding super high 800+ temps could certainly help avoid them, but I got one when I was cooking in the 350° range, so it is not the total answer. [p]I am guessing that some crack and some don't based more on the ceramic clay blend and contaminants and air pockets than anything else, but that is just a guess. Making a multipart firebox could work but I have not seen anyone do that yet. Making a firebox that doesn't expand as much as current units would/should also work, but that hasn't been perfected yet either. We need to just live with it -- like email viruses. Let's worry about stuff we have some control over -- like the weather............. ;-}[p]Tim
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Tim M, you are probably correct that the main cause would be the imperfections in the material. [p]I know that the cracks are not harmful and do not alter the function but, as you have probably noticed, you are dealing with a lot of very anal retentive personalities on this forum; makes ignoring the cracks somewhat difficult. LOL
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    CR, are you saying we have some crackpots who cannot deal with cracked-pots? LOL[p]
  • Tim M,
    This concerns me since I am just considering buying one of these cookers. Thats a lot of money to spend to have it crack on you and from what I understand BGE won't stand behind this right?
    Leo

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Wise One,
    LOL! I know a classic when I see one.[p]Just back in town, and good to get a hearty chuckle after my long drive through 10 states yesterday. Beer thirty now. Bed thirty after this beer![p]Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Leon,
    As posted, a cracked firebox does not hamper it's cooking ability. Some crack, some don't. If for some reason you experience a severe crack that would hamper it, I'm quite sure BGE would step up to the plate.
    I would not let this prevent you from buying an egg.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Leon, Before I bought an Egg I read through 2 1/2 years of Archive comments derived from this forum. There was not one comment or indication that BGE Inc. does not always ,without exception ,stand behind their product and bend over backwards to replace defective items and make things right, even if damage is not their fault. There are several comments about how generous BGE is in their dealings with owners.

• Tim M
    Leon,[p]Look down the list of posters here on this forum. Do you see many complaints about anything? Nope. Only those people who do not own a ceramic cooker (often, but not always identified by a lack of a return email address) makes these statements. I suggest you call BGE - they are very nice folks, and ask them about their policies. I think you will be very happy with a ceramic cooker. Like many have said - it will probably crack - so what? My driveway is cracked and I am not replacing it either.[p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    Theres my email! I was only asking questions I have concerns about spending that kind of money and it crack. Wouldn't you if you were thinking of buyiny one? I have never compared a driveway to a cooker. Why do you have to be so short to newbies? If you have a problem with my questions just pass over them and don't answer! I am sure others will help. From what I have seen I don't put to much into your advice!
    Leon

• Tim M
    Leon,[p]Sorry you took such offense. It was not intended at you. The topic has gotten a lot of air-time in the threads below. Several persons love to post about quality issues here that don't own or use these cookers and the simple fact they like to exclude their emails is a giveaway that they don't really care for feedback. I just don't know how else to tell you that a cracked firebox doesn't affect its use. When I do you feel I am picking on you or being short. I am not tring to. [p]The typed word, from one who does not like to type because I am slow at it, often comes across wrong. This is yet another case of me being misunderstood. I just don't know how else to express the fact that Bge takes care of their customers, and the fireboxes will crack, but it doesn't matter. If it bothers you then I suggest you get another type.[p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    Thank you I understand I assure you I am not here to dog on the BGE. I would really like to add it to my patio. I have a Klose BYC and a webber kettle cooker. I thought it would be neat to add to the collection by the pool.:) I even went to look at them this past Saturday and they were pretty neat just that the dealer didn't know all that much about them. When were talking cracks is it like hair line cracks like what would be in a crock bowl? One more thing I saw they have there own lump charcoal can you use kingsford in it and whats the draw backs to that?
    Leon

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Leon,
    When they crack, it usually is one or two solid cracks, so that it will be in two or three pieces.
    Sure, you can use kingsford, but you will have less taste and much more ash. It does not last as long as natural lump either. There are several compaines who make their own lump, check out naked whiz's site, he has compiled a database on bags of lump.

Apollo Beach, FL