Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

12 Hours at 210 Degrees!!!

gwopy
gwopy Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last week a few people gave some advice on temp control at low temperatures. To test their advice, I tried running the BGE at 210 when I got up this morning and just seeing if it would make it through the day.

Well, we're on hour 12, and it doesn't look like there's any signs of stopping. There's still plenty of charcoal left.

This thing is sick! I've cooled on this thing 40+ times in the three months that I've had it, but I had no idea what it was capable of.

What's the longest that anyone's run their BGE while either cooking only one dish or cooling multiple with the same load of charcoal?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    That is a walk in the part. At that temp you should be able to go 30+ hours.

On my large with 1 load of lump. 240° dome, 20 hours, cranked up to 400° for 4 hours, up to 600° for 90 minutes. Got tired of 'seeing how long' and shut down.

There was some but not a lot of lump left.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I've gone north of 26 hours on the large and had a pretty good bit of lump left.

I've never maxed out time on my medium, but have done 18 hours or so.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    I have done many 20 hour 225 smokes with enough lump left over to do four or five 'grills' (burgers, steaks, chicken), quik 1 hour or less cooks, it is amazing
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    i loaded my medium up when i first got it about 6 years ago and it still maintains a temp of 125 plus degrees during the day sitting in the sun..........
    LOL i have gotten just south of 30 hours on a load in a medium.haven't really done marathons in my other two.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    230 dome temp for pork butt one Friday night at 11 PM. Next day took the butt off and cooked chicken and sausage for a couple hours. Forgot to shut he egg down and had the Guru set at 375, woke up Sunday morning and the egg was still 325. The coals needed stirring but there were enough left to keep going for at least a couple hours.
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    I have no gasket and my medium can keep 230-250 for 15 hours no problem. Never had the need for longer, and I had lump left over after 15 hours.
  • ST1SSDV
    ST1SSDV Posts: 33
    Rod,

I got my first Egg last fall at the 'fest.
    I have cooked pork shoulders a couple of times and have had to reload the charcoal after 16 hours.

Any ideas ?

Here are some details:

Large Egg, Royal Oak lump to the top of the fire ring,
    230F. Clean ash area, bottom grate open about .75", daisy wheel small holes open halfway.

20lb. of pork shoulder, started at 1800. At 0000, 230F, at 0800, 190F. when I examine the charcoal, the center is ash with a ring of mostly extinguished charcoal at the perimeter. I reload, then let it get started, then continue until the shoulders are done.

The lid bands and felt gaskets seem to be adjusted correctly
    Do you think I need to work on the vent cap ?

Michael M., Buford
  • ST1SSDV
    ST1SSDV Posts: 33
    Rod,

I got my first Egg last fall at the 'fest.
    I have cooked pork shoulders a couple of times and have had to reload the charcoal after 16 hours.

Any ideas ?

Here are some details:

Large Egg, Royal Oak lump to the top of the fire ring,
    230F. Clean ash area, bottom grate open about .75", daisy wheel small holes open halfway.

20lb. of pork shoulder, started at 1800. At 0000, 230F, at 0800, 190F. when I examine the charcoal, the center is ash with a ring of mostly extinguished charcoal at the perimeter. I reload, then let it get started, then continue until the shoulders are done.

The lid bands and felt gaskets seem to be adjusted correctly
    Do you think I need to work on the vent cap ?

Michael M., Buford
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Sorry, I've been out of town and just saw this question.

My gut feel is that your thermometer is off. Email me off line and I'll give you a phone number or even come by your place to help out if I can.