Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock (Hoping for the illusive crispy skin)

Stanley
Stanley Posts: 623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking a 4.5 lb. bird this afternoon. Spatchcocked it yesterday morning and it's been resting (uncovered) in the fridge since (thanks to TNW for that suggestion) as I'm after the illusive crispy skin. My last spatchcock I patted dry but didn't go this extra step. I rubbed that one with EVOO and sprinkled with Tsunami Spin, cooked it direct, skin side up, high in the dome at 400°. The meat was fabulous. The skin was OK.

This one I'm thinking of cooking the same position and temp. I'm wondering if oiling or buttering the skin would counteract my skin-drying efforts, so I'm considering skipping it. I will season the underside, but seems like I'd have a hard time getting seasoning to stick to my dry skin. I know I could loosen the skin and season (maybe even butter as well) under it, but I'm concerned that loosening will result in slippage and shrinkage and too much bare flesh. The option I'm considering is going skin side down for 15 minutes then flipping and seasoning the skin side. My thought is that the heat will have brought up some chicken fat that will allow my seasonings to stick.

As always, open to suggestion. Thanks.

Comments

• I use 500° for whole chickens, for about one hour. No seasonings, no oil, indirect right on the grid, breast side down. (looks funny that way, but I believe it makes the breast meat even juicier). I don't use any smoke, although I can't imagine how it would hurt anything. If you use seasonings, the skin will still be extra crispy, but it'll be kinda dark.

Good luck. Since you've let your skin dry out in the fridge (TNW's recommendation) you may not need to go the full hour. I've never done that, however.

Good luck.
  • I too am in search of the elusive crispy skin.

Best skin I've ever had was on a duck and I think t was because I flipped it over skin side down at the end to finish (I think it was at 400).
    It was that crispy, light pastry-like crispness, golden brown with the only black occurring at the wingtips.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    This one was oiled and rubbed, cooked at 500 indirect and not flipped. Skin was great. Prepped about 20 mins before grilling.
    SpatchcockChicken.jpg
  • I think buttering or oiling the skin would help. So would a light dusting of flour. I usually finish my spatchcock chicken by heating a cast iron skillet and placing it on top of the chicken. It works pretty well.

NightBloomingCirrus2011.jpg

Paul
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    My skin comes out crispy like fried chicken almost. Medium Egg, 275, plate setter, lightly brushed wtih EVOO and coated in Tsunami Spin, skin side up for about 2 hours.

Last 15 minutes I removed the plate setter, flipped the skin side down onto the grill. Same heat, 275.

Perfect!

ki4enfa022.jpg
  • Tripmaker
    Tripmaker Posts: 124
    I am a newbie with the BGE but I find that salt will make the skin nice and crispy on other grills. That is assuming you like salt and have low blood pressure. The more salt the crispier the skin as salt draws out the moisture. The salt usually doesn't permiate into the meat, much.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Are you heating your skillet in the egg, or stove top? Wondering if cooking indirect w/ skillet as heat deflector, then at the end of the cook using the skillet/deflector to sear the skin would be a good technique to produce that "illusive crispy skin".