Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Croakers

Options
Celtic Wolf
Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok I have found a few recipes for Croakers. None of them have piqued my interest yet.

I need a SPOT on recipe..

ohhh sometimes I can be sooo punny!! :silly:

Comments

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I use a mixture of seasoned flour and cornmeal and fry in peanut oil.

Walt
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I never could stand croakers because of the propensity to "void themselves" on you when you try to take them off of the hook :lol: .

Spot....hilarious:)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Fireball II
    Options
    In the south the only true way to make these critters turn out great is to soak them in Buttermilk for several hours. Then batter with seasoned flour and fry in a oil about half the way on the leg. The buttermilk make the batter stick! JD
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Sorry, but I have to ask...what is a croaker? The only thing that comes to mind is CWM's dating life but I'm sure that's not it.

Bruce
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Leg????

Croakers are Fish No legs

But the buttermilk and seasoned flour will work
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Croaker AKA SPOTS

Now you know why I was PUNny :woohoo:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    The names croaker and drum are descriptive of the noise the fish makes by vibrating strong muscles against its swim bladder, which acts as a resonating chamber, much like a drum.

ahhhh that brings back fond memories from nearly 60 years ago out in a boat fishing with my beloved GampO. With him there we were always the target for a bedeviled "drummer" which I was told would swim under our boat and the sound would be a loud BRAUGHT. Of course I believed my GampO and he would laugh sooo loud! PS...some times you could even smell those rascals!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Dang Chris it's only water, not as if you never wet yourself. LOL. GO VOLS> MIles out.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I've caught black drum to 60 pounds here but anything above 8 was nasty no matter how long you soaked or how you cooked them. the smaller ones are good grilled direct like a sea trout but above 2# I would soak with the buttermilk and bread with the cornmeal mix.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    The ones I have are all well below 2 pounds.

I found a recipe for an Asian Marinade I might try, but my wife isn't all that fancy.
  • Fireball II
    Options
    You can sure tell what part of the world I am from. The only croakers around here are Bull Frogs! HA HA, JD
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    In Tennessee we call catfish "croakers", I'm sure for the same reason.

Walt
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Not exactly water...more the "other stuff".

Then again, if someone was pulling a hook out of my mouth, I'd probably crap my britches too :silly: :woohoo: !
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I cooked some rudder fish like this two days ago. They were gooood.

I don't know how you have them, filets, chunks, headed&gutted, but this should work.

They have to be at least scaled,Pete.

get a dish and put some mustard in it. Add some hot sauce(you won't be able to detect the mustard or the hot sauce). mix them together then add the fish to coat and let them sit for about ten mins. Pour some corn meal into a bag, add some salt, and add the fish and shake til coated. remove from bag and cook in oil at 350F til done. As soon as you pull them out of the oil, sprinkle them with lemon pepper. Add cocktail sauce or tartar sauce. Enjoy.

I've several recipes but since you didn't say how they are prepped, right now that's all you get. :lol: