Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Kingsford Charwood Need fast advice

PharmeggistPharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited 6:50PM in EggHead Forum
I open up the paper...

Kingsford Charwood $2.99 10lb bag sale thru Mon..

Question.... Should I buy this up in bulk???
·

Comments

• ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,333
    I've never seen anything that cheap, I would buy it all
    ·
  • BurntRawBurntRaw Posts: 565
    If you are going to use it to put on a pyrotechnics show: YES

If you are planning on using it to cook: NO

Worst. Stuff. Ever.
    ·
  • BrocBroc Posts: 1,398
    I tried it... once...

:sick: :unsure: :whistle:
    ·
    Looks like it did 'above average' on the lump database, according to the Whiz, Kingsford improved it since the last testing in 2006 & the new stuff is pretty good
    ·
  • PharmeggistPharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    How can you tell if it is the good stuff? The place is a Russell Do it Center it could have been them from 2006 :blush: The thought never crossed my mind that they would even sell Lump :laugh:
    ·
    Go to the website of the Naked Whiz (nakedwhiz.com), he posts pictures & bar codes & anything else you need to identify all types of lump. I just re-read the review, & apparently the older stuff (made in 2006 & before) did spark terribly & was bad for other reasons as well. According to the review, Kingsford did resolve the sparking issue & made other improvements, but it still has some other issues, so while it was above average, it fell short of 'recommended' - check it out
    ·
  • Sounds like the new Kingsford is made in the USA and is pretty good where the old stuff was made in Argentina and was good for a sparkler display but not much else.
    ·
  • SlotmercenarySlotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    buy a bag and try it.... 2.99 for 10lbs ? i buy RO for 5.27 so if it works then go for it.
    there will always be nay sayers so what is 2.99 investment going to hurt?
    ·
  • I purchased a bag and no problem, just as good in my opinion as RO.
    ·
  • ST1SSDVST1SSDV Posts: 25
    At that price, if it doesn't work out you can mix a little in with each eggload of RO.
    ·