Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with that beer you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Kingsford Charwood Need fast advice

PharmeggistPharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited 2:58PM in EggHead Forum
I open up the paper...

Kingsford Charwood $2.99 10lb bag sale thru Mon..

Question.... Should I buy this up in bulk???
·

Comments

• ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,327
    I've never seen anything that cheap, I would buy it all
    ·
  • BurntRawBurntRaw Posts: 565
    If you are going to use it to put on a pyrotechnics show: YES

If you are planning on using it to cook: NO

Worst. Stuff. Ever.
    ·
  • BrocBroc Posts: 1,398
    I tried it... once...

:sick: :unsure: :whistle:
    ·
    Looks like it did 'above average' on the lump database, according to the Whiz, Kingsford improved it since the last testing in 2006 & the new stuff is pretty good
    ·
  • PharmeggistPharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    How can you tell if it is the good stuff? The place is a Russell Do it Center it could have been them from 2006 :blush: The thought never crossed my mind that they would even sell Lump :laugh:
    ·
    Go to the website of the Naked Whiz (nakedwhiz.com), he posts pictures & bar codes & anything else you need to identify all types of lump. I just re-read the review, & apparently the older stuff (made in 2006 & before) did spark terribly & was bad for other reasons as well. According to the review, Kingsford did resolve the sparking issue & made other improvements, but it still has some other issues, so while it was above average, it fell short of 'recommended' - check it out
    ·
  • Sounds like the new Kingsford is made in the USA and is pretty good where the old stuff was made in Argentina and was good for a sparkler display but not much else.
    ·
  • SlotmercenarySlotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    buy a bag and try it.... 2.99 for 10lbs ? i buy RO for 5.27 so if it works then go for it.
    there will always be nay sayers so what is 2.99 investment going to hurt?
    ·
  • I purchased a bag and no problem, just as good in my opinion as RO.
    ·
  • ST1SSDVST1SSDV Posts: 25
    At that price, if it doesn't work out you can mix a little in with each eggload of RO.
    ·