Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Help...Butts Done Early

SoonerChrisSoonerChris Posts: 302
edited 5:07PM in EggHead Forum
Started 2 5# butts last night at 9:30pm and 11 hours later they are sitting at 190. Dome is 254 and I am serving for dinner tonight. What is the best way to keep these for dinner? I think leaving them in a cooler for more than 5 hours isn't a good idea. Should I cooler them for 5 hours then put them in a 150* oven for the duration?


  • I have done that, it works out fine, i put some sauce on them prior to firing them into the oven on warm, still got rave reviews and wasn't dry at all
  • They will keep a loooong time if double wrapped in foil, placed in cooler surrounded by newspapers. I don't think 5 hours would be a problem at all. If you want place your temp probe in the butt while in the cooler. If you keep above 140 degrees no harm done.
  • MeinbmwMeinbmw Posts: 157
    I would crank the temp down to 225 and let the butts reach 200.

    Then, wrap butt in heavy duty foil - then wrap that in several layers of newspaper. Put the wrapped butt in the smallest cooler it will comfortably fit in, then put a bath towel on top. Close the cooler AND DON'T OPEN IT.

    You will be amazed at how long the butt will keep a safe temp.
  • I agree. Leave them in the egg as long as you can. Start ramping down your temperature and it might be a couple more hours before they hit 200. Then you can foil and cooler. Mark
  • Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Now is the time to experiment. Double wrap in foil, then reinsert your temp probe. Heat a few bricks or anything that has a lot of mass. Place a thick layer of newspaper on the bottom of your cooler, then a few towels, then some foil, then the bricks. Cover this with more towels, then butt with more towels. Fill up as much air space as possible. Keep adding towels until the whole space is filled then a layer of foil on top. Run the probe wire to the outside and plug it back in to your thermometer. Do it this way, and you should get 8-10 hours before the temp falls below 140.
  • Thanks for the quick advice all. I am in the process of ramping down the temp and hopefully I can extend the cooking time to about 2pm today. Then cooler until around 7pm when its time to eat,
  • NJ-GrEGGNJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    I use to take it off at 190F but recently started taking it off at 200F. Spritz with 50/50 apple juice and apple cider vinigar every 20 minutes and let it ride to 200.
  • Ummmm, 2:00, that might be a stretch. It's hard, but you can dry them out if left in the heat for too long.
  • Obviously I'm going to go by temp, not time. Going to pull them at 200*
  • Just an update. They have been on for 13 hrs. now and since 7am this morning they have been right at 190*. Looks like its not going to be an issue. I have moved the temp back up to 240* dome. Prob have about 3 more hours to cook and then in the cooler. Looks like everything is going to work out right on time.

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.