Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JJ’s Dreamy Rub

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, last night I fired up my egg and cooked the Pork Chops that had been drenched in mustard and JJ’s Rub. Things did not go exactly as planed.[p]I had intended to fast grill the pork chops at 700+, but for some reason my small egg would not exceed the 500-degree mark, which I attribute to two things. First, my egg needs a good cleaning and a new gasket (on order). The second is that I am coming to the end of a bag of BGE Lump, so I am dealing with small pieces.[p]It was getting late and we were getting hungry, so I started cooking the chops. The pork turned out cooking at about 350 for 25 minutes, flipped every five minutes. After 10 minutes, I started checking the internal temperature with my instant read thermometer. I took the chops to 160 and pulled them off. After the initial two flips, the majority of the mustard and rub was on the grill and not the meat. I was a little disappointed because everything smelled soooo good.[p]The Pork chops were very good, but they were more like roast pork than high-temp grilled Pork chops. Where the rub did stick, it tasted great and everyone loved it. The meat definitely had picked up the flavor of the rub. I found myself wishing that I had made ribs, because I do not turn ribs so the rub would stay on. [p]And now the weird part …[p]When we awoke this morning, my wife and I both discovered that we had an unusually active night of dreaming. Then my daughter woke up and reported the same thing. What gives JJ? Did you receive this magical blend of spices from some supernatural source?[p]The next batch of ribs is going to Ribs alla JJ Style. I cannot wait.[p]Thank you JJ,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• SpiceCooks
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    The best way to cook pork chops is to brine them and use my recipe for cooking them that's in the new recipe section.
    It is called Grilled Thick Cut Pork Chops. You can still rub them with JJ's rub if it hits the taste buds. Only way to go. We have a large BGE but I think you should still be able to hit the 400-450° mark with yours.