Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad Ribs?!?!?

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I opened up the baby back ribs to get some rub on them (planning on supper tonight). They looked good, but had a very foul smell, almost a fishy smell. I assume these are bad? I know pork doesn't always smell the best, but this seemed extreme. Do any of you have similar experiences?

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Never happened to me although I have heard of it with a butt, I would return'm, sounds foul
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Trust your schnoz and your initial instinct. Toss 'em.
    If you try to cook them, you'll be debating yourself for hours. Pitch them.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Were they in cryovac? Sometimes that gas they use leaves a bit of an off-putting smell.

Rinse them, and let them rest 10 minutes or so, then give them a sniff.

If they still smell bad to you then take them back. Otherwise you'll be good to go.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    cryovacs do that sometimes, dont know why, do as fidel says. rinse them off and leave the house for 10 minutes, then smell them again.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    as stated below, cryovac packs have a gas in them used in the cryovac process that will make them smell pretty foul. rinse then smell as advised.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    Only happened to me once but that was enough. Tried washing off with cold water but that four odor was still there. Decided since they came from Sams Club I would just get a refund. No sense taking a chance.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have opened a lot of cryovac meat - other than one time there was no off smell. The time I did have an off smell it was bad enough to make one gag.

If you want to be a guinea pig to see if it is good or not, go for it. Doctor visits don't cost much. :laugh:

Unless for some reason food isn't availalbe for you to cook, why even take a chance.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    There are lots of reputable references that can easily be found that indicate these confinement odors are normal and safe.

The odor is different from spoilage odor, and I have experienced both when opening a cryovac or other type of vacuum sealed pack. Spoiled meat will run you out of the kitchen. Confinement odors are mildly unpleasant and go away very quickly.

If the bad smell was accompanied by an unusually large amount of liquid in the packaging, the meat was slimy or discolored, or there were other indications of spoilage then by all means return or discard it.

Common sense can be your friend in these situations.
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    Thanks all for your help. I did the wash and rest method, and they still didn't smell right. Even an hour after throwing them away I still had the odor on my hands (after washing thoroughly).

Guess it is Beer Can Chicken tonight, which isn't a bad plan "B"!!!!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have only once experienced an oder wity cryovac - and yes, 'I ran out of the kitchen'.

I have read a lot of off smelling cryovac posts but luckly have never had any.

Kent
  • shaunmac
    shaunmac Posts: 17
    Options
    I try to never buy cryovac meat. Try going to the butcher. I never have a problem with rotten meat. At least my brisket, butt and ribs. Ribs are fresh never frozen. It makes a difference.