Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Cover

Options
shaunmac
shaunmac Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is the Egg Cover supposed to be waterproof? Mine leaks like a crazy, and when it's raining hard my egg gets so wet I might as well not even use a cover at all. What's up with this?

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I have two larges with covers and yes they leak at the seams mostly. They're designed more for keeping the eggs clean. I use my eggs so often that they rarely get covered anyway and this does not hurt them at all. In fact, I recently purchased the new egg shelves that are available and the covers don't realy even fit over them anymore. It's really not a problem. Some folks have left their eggs out in the elements for years without covers and it doesn't hurt them a bit. Mark
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    water proof? - mine isn't but go to a sporting goods place and buy a tube of seam sealer made for tents.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    shaunmac...had the same problem with my cover. Called the dealer and he said he had one just like mine and it didn't leak. Said bring it in and he would replace it. He did replace it and lo and behold the first time it rained the new one leaked. RRP has the answer.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al
    War Eagle

Opelika, Alabama
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    you could always do this

IMG_1524.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    One benefit of the cover mentioned by another poster here was that it keeps rain from seeping into the gasket and freezing the Egg shut in the winter.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Mine leaks in hard, driving rain, but just at the seams and even then not that much. I'm more interested in keeping the acorns, leaves, bird droppings and sunlight off the table...the Egg will weather almost everything.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The paint does fade quite a bit in a relative short amount of time if in direct sunlight.

GG
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    I made a small investment in the knock off covers carried by Home Depot for the Weber kettles. Got one that fits the large and one for the small. Very cheap and only minimal leakage. Had them on for over three years now. I guess I'll spend another $10 when they go on sale soon and get a pair of replacements.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I have the cover that fits a large in a table and like everyone elses, yes, it leaks at the seams. The seam sealer product is the best answer I've seen, but to be honest, I don't even bother. It keeps my tools and stuff under the table dry and my table top is tile, so as long as I remember to put the metal top inside the egg, I'm good.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    I've been very disappointed with the BGE table cover I bought from a local dealer. I built a nice cypress table that I would like to keep nice. I bought the cover to keep the moisture out. Sure enough first rain - everything's soaked. So I did the tent seam sealer thing (why can't they seal them at the factory??). But now I find that the material itself isn't water proof - it leaks right through. It started doing this when it was only weeks old.

Called BGE and they told me the heavier ventillated one is better, but did not offer to replace the original one I bought. This has been a disapointment.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    I do the same as Larry and use a cheapy Weber dome cover on my (mateless) MBGE. If you are shopping, might check out Amazon's End of Year sale.

NoW.jpg