Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't let your "Meat" loaf!!

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy Eggers---my better half and I are compromising today....she's making the meatloaf (pork/beef w/chanterelle mushrooms, cheese, etc.) and I get to do the cookin'---Should be about 3lbs. worth of stuff and just wondering what kind of cook times indirect at 350 I can expect, plus any recommendations on wood, no wood, etc. Was looking at SpiceCooks recipe for Mexican Meatloaf but didn't mention any times,etc. Love to hear your input!! Thanks, Big Murth

Comments

• Big Murth,
    I would love to see pics of a meatloaf done in the BGE if anyone has any.
    Thanks

• Big Murth
    Options
    Leon,
    Check out the Submitted Recipes section and there should be at least one recipe (as I mentioned) that looks to be pretty simple and straightforward. We're going to do a more traditional meatloaf, and use the Egg as our oven!!!

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Big Murth,
    We cook our meatloaf over a drip pan at 350 for an hour. I don't use a traditional loaf pan when I do meatloaf. I use the fish/veggie grid and shape my meatloaf into a rectangle about 2-3 inches thick. We have used both wood and no wood. This last one was done with hickory, and tasted great. [p]~nikki

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Big Murth,
    I do my meatloaf in a traditional loaf pan, cooked direct for about an hour. Use whatever wood you like...I go with pecan usually.

• Big Murth
    Options
    nikkig,
    Whoops! Thanks for getting back to me (and everyone else!)-question: when you use the fish/veggie grid, does any of your loaf start dropping through/leaking through the holes, in amounts meat-wise...that are more than the expected drippings? I like the idea, as I see it creating an opportunity for the smoke to really swirl around and through your cook from every angle including bottom, as the fish grid is above the drip pan below. Thanks for answering this latest question, in advance!! Big Murth

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Big Murth,
    This is the meatloaf I made at Atlanta last weekend. The technique has worked well for me. You can use just about any meatloaf recipe with good results.
    JimW

[ul][li]Andria's Meatloaf[/ul]
  • nikkig
    Options
    Big Murth,
    No, we don't have a problem with it dripping through. Not only does it get a good smoke flavoring , but it also creates a nice crust around it. I forgot to mention that I also spay the gris with Pam. I use equal amounts of ground chuck, and fresh ground pork sausage for my meat. Even before I got my egg, when I did meatloaf in the oven, I always cooked it on the broiler pan, so that the grease could drop through. If you would like the complete recipe, let me know and I will post it.[p]~nikki

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    nikkig, I for one would like to see your recipe! Thanks in advance if you do share it with us!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nikkig
    Options
    RRP,
    Here it is:[p]1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
    1 1/2 pound fresh ground pork sausage*
    1 1/2 package saltines, crushed fine
    large onion, chopped fine
    1/2 cup salsa
    1/4 cup ketchup
    2 heaping Tablespoons mustard
    2 heaping teaspoons garlic
    2 eggs
    dash of salt, and pepper[p]Mix well. Place on pan. Mix some ketchup and mustard (I just go by taste) and spread over top. Cook at 350* for an hour.[p]*I usually mix my own sausage. I use 1 1/2 pounds of fresh ground pork, and 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Legg's Old Plantation Pork Sausage Seasoning

• nikkig
    Options
    For the Salsa, I use Pace chunky salsa-Medium flavor.[p]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    JimW,
    Thanks to Dana I got some of your wonderful meat loaf at Eggtoberfest.I will be making it real soon.
    Larry

• Big Murth
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Well, all I can say as I have for almost the last two years......this Forum works/rocks!! Thanks to all for the great info/input/recipes, etc. We're in an initial 200/225 smoke stage, and then I'll let her creep up to the 350 range, and should be done about the time that Barry Bonds should hopefully redeem himself...............Go Giants!!!(hey...I grew up in the "City", yeah...in it!---and anytime a San Francisco/Bay Area team makes a season-end impact..I'm still rooting from afar!!! Especially when some of the guests coming over tonight are true-blue(never Dodger fans)California/Anaheim Angel fans!!)) Starting to rain here, and all the cottonwoods are turning a burning yellow, our version of New Englands's blaze of glory, here along the banks of the Rio Grande!! Thanks Eggers, again!
    Have you bought your green chile yet?
    Big Murth

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    JimW,
    I made this recipe yesterday, but I need some help. I did not see how cooked the meatloaf. I simply placed the meatloaf in a shallow tinfoil pan and set it on a plate setter. By the time it was done, the bottom of the meatloaf was crispy and inedible. I cut that part off and served the rest. Everyone thought it tasted great![p]How should I have cooked it so that the meatloaf did no sit in grease?
    RhumAndJerk

• JimW
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    At Eggtoberfest, I simply placed the tin pan with the meatloaf in it on a pizza stone. I have never had a problem with a burned or crispy bottom. Usually, as at Atlanta, there are a fair amount of drippings that come out of the loaf depending on the fat content of the meat. In order to avoid having the meat sit in the liquid, you could use a double pan method with the top pan on a rack inside of a second pan. The top pan would need a hole in it to allow the drippings to escape. Having said that, I just use one pan and remove the loaf from the drippings and then let it rest.
    JimW

• YB
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    This NordicWare pan I cooked the bacon wrapped pickled watermelon rind on at Eggtoberfest would do what you want.
    Larry

[ul][li]NordicWare pan[/ul]
  • Foxey
    Foxey Posts: 6
    Options
    YB,
    Where would one find a Nordic Ware Pan? Would it fit in a med. BGE?

• YB
    Options
    Foxey,
    My round Nordic Ware pan is 14", that may be a tight fit in the medium.This is where I got mine from.
    Larry
    Cherokee Hearth & Home - 1257 Augusta West Parkway
    Augusta,GA 30909
    706-854-1181
    Toll Free: 800-832-8565

• YB
    Options
    Foxey,
    Here is a site you can order from.
    Larry

[ul][li]Nordic Ware[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    JimW,
    Thanks. That is the info I was looking for. How hard is it to find that steak suace?
    R&J

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    YB,
    I am having a hard time Keeping up with the Jones, but I am trying. I just got the plate setter for the medium.
    MAPP Gas … Nordicware Cooking Pans … What Next? A Large BGE?[p]By the way, pick up some of those BGE baking dishes while you can. They are nice and the perfect size for the Small BGE.[p]Sheesh,
    R&J

• YB
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I will go tomorrow and get a couple.I just noticed on the Nordic Ware site it has free shipping and the more you order the more discount you get.
    Larry

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    YB,
    Is this the one?
    R&J

[ul][li]Seafood Steamer[/ul]
  • JimW
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Unless you live in the area of O'Fallon IL, you probably will have to order it from www.andrias.com.
    JimW

• YB
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thats the one.
    Larry

• YB
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Michael I just got back from getting the 8" ceramic deep dish from our egg store,thanks for the info.Would you please e-mail me the recipe for the Great Pumpkin..
    Larry[p]