Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ribs...fist time with JH Pecan

BamaFanBamaFan Posts: 658
edited 1:57AM in EggHead Forum
Cooked three slabs today. One with home made rib rub...wow :woohoo: a little too much heat, one with DP SV & JFW and one with JH Pecan rub. The wife and I agreed, the pecan rub won hands down.

DSC04655.jpg
Top slab with JH Pecan rub

DSC04656.jpg
Close up of the same

DSC04657.jpg
Close up of the DP slab
·

Comments

• JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Agreed. As much as I like the DP rubs, I've come to love the JH Pecan on ribs.

DSC01061.jpg
    ·
  • EggtuckyEggtucky Posts: 2,746
    dude..I keep JH pecan and HOT pecan at all times..havent tried a rack of ribs yet usin it..but may be my next cook of ribs..we love it..but it has lotta sugar in it so that may be the reason we are partial.. I really like JFW and SV, but probably not the best choice on ribs...will def try the JH pecan..those look awesome..thanks for the pix!
    ·
  • BamaFanBamaFan Posts: 658
    I was surprised by the taste and flavor. Wife was really pleased. Give them a try.
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Is the JH Pecan a rub or sauce?

GG
    ·
    It is becoming my favorite on most any thing you want to cook. The last fattie I did had pecan rubbed in. It was outstanding.
    ·
    How hot is the Hot Pecan?
    ·
    It's a rub. The ribs you see in my pic have JH Pecan and are sauced with Sweet Baby Ray's Original.
    ·
    Ahhhh, now I understand. Is the mix good?

I tried some Stubbs spicy and original baby rays and that is real good.

GG
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    By far my favorite rub on pork. I like to give it a splash of JFW too for a little kick.

I like to use pecan wood for smoke to really complement the flavor in the rub.

Nice ribs!
    ·
    It's gotta fair kick but not unbearable..if you like JH Pecan you GOTTA try the HOt...
    ·
    ditto that Fidel! ;)
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Great ribs and that is a nice rub.

Mike
    ·
    Along with cherry wood smoke, it's our favorite combination.
    ·
  • Next time you make pulled pork, mix some of the pecan in with the pork after you pull it.

I also like their summer peach and raspberry chipolte.
    ·
    Now that's a good idea!
    ·
    I will have to order online...my dealer does not stock the Hot. Can't wait to try it.
    ·
    I need to get some ordered... Thanks.

GG
    ·
    Thanks, I guess I better get both on order.

GG
    ·
    Rod,

Do you mix or just put one on first and then the other. How heavy on both?

Kent
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    The past few times I have done ribs I rub them with worcestershire sauce, then a fairly heavy coat of JH Pecan, then a dusting of JFW.

Then after 4-5 hours I coat liberally with honey, then when they are done a couple hours later a good coat of Blues Hog sauce.

Very yum.
    ·
  • ric3677ric3677 Posts: 278
    Anyone have a link for JH rubs?
    thanks
    Rick
    ·
  • porcheggporchegg Posts: 47
    JH Pecan has quickly become our favorite rub on pork. The first time I used it was on chops. Incredible. Monday I used it on a pork loin that was wonderful. We have already used up half a bottle and haven't had it that long. Great stuff.
    ·
  • Ar-CeeAr-Cee Posts: 105
    I too like the JH and the DP. I have the Pecan (buy the Texas Size, it saves re-ordering) and the Pecan Hot. Both are great. The JH Pecan Hot is as advertised, it has some kick. I generally add the hot as a "final dusting" to my base rub (my opinion).
    My DP favorite (mix) for Ribs is Raging River (wait an hour) then a full coat of Redeye express and yellow mustard over the top. Both brands go well with a Pecan or Cherry smoke. My 2 cents. Hope all have a happy and safe weekend. rc
    ·
  • Anyone know if you can order the JH rub some where other than through his site? I'm being a little cheap and don't want to pay double the cost of the run in shipping alone. Seems a bit hefty, but maybe that's just something I'll have to get over.

For someone who doesn't enjoy eating nuts (pecans included) would this rub still be a good choice? From the way it sounds its a spectacular rub, am I going to be disappointed or will it just be some very tasty seasoning?

Thanks,
    Hungry, Confused and Interested
    ·